load/span tables for SYP No.1 rough sawn 2x wood

Started by paul s, August 24, 2014, 06:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul s

In my downsizing I have no table, and my searches are not very productive.  Question  right now is joists for a loft in a 14' x 14'  cabin.
thanks in advance.
paul

Don_P

I'm unaware of a table for rough sawn, it ends up going to longhand or a calc.  #1, How was it graded?
if it is a full 2x8 @ #1 it would sneak through, you're pushing deflection limits at a 40 psf live load.

paul s

As I now recall the tables I had were from a book called From the Ground Up.  by Wing and Cole.  Covered 12,16,24  inch joist spacing too.  I should  have made a copy before I sold the book.  Now it just dawned on me, I have what i need in my tool box. that little black book called Pocket Ref.  Had forgotten about it

thanks

John Raabe

I checked my copy of "From the Ground Up" and you are fine with full 2x8 @ 16" o/c for strength. As DonP mentions deflection is getting closer at 1/360 but Wade's chart doesn't look at rough cut. Keep in mind these calcs and values were from 1976.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Don_P

I forgot to mention that I was talking about 16" spacing, good catch John. The design values I used were modern, taking into account the derating of southern yelow pine that occured last year (6/13), which is why it went to needing #1 to make the span. Fb (bending strength dropped from 1552 psi to 1256 psi for that situation, modulus of elasticity (stiffness, deflection) dropped from 1.6 to 1.4... so do pick good stuff if you go with 2x8's, you're working near the limits.

paul s

First, let me just say one thing, I have loved this forum since I found it many years ago, it is real  and has plans and photos.  Over and over I see great and or stunning cabins on the net and very little  other than a teaser sketch or photo and no current info.

I have always wanted one of those cabins.

My future cabin will be rather modest and low key.  It kind of has to be because much of what I will do there will be borderline not so by the book.  I guess my goal will be to blend in and even camouflage my dwelling.  Darn, I should have bought all of those mirrors  at that last auction!!

Well right now I am starting a living fence of thorny  shrubs
and planting  several fast growing pines in strategic places.

Paul

Medeek

Send me the information and I'll run the numbers for you.

Live Load = 40 psf
Dead Load = 10 + 10 psf (for floor and ceiling below)
Span (ft)
Dimensions of Lumber (nominal or if not exact dimensions)

Extreme conditions if any (ie. high moisture, high heat, pressure treated)

Spacing of joists
Floor Sheathing and nail spacing (assuming 3/4" T&G with 10d nails @ 6" o/c edges, 12" o/c field)
Bearing Length (length of bearing at each end)

Simple span or a more complicated support/loading condition?  Uniform floor load or are there any point loads from partitions/bearing walls.

Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer