Tying large gable dormer into trussed roof

Started by knightbuild, September 19, 2013, 11:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightbuild

I would like to start by saying thank you to everyone here for the great information.  I've read almost every post up to page 112 or so. I am always amazed at the knowledge and the experience here. 

I am trying to design our home that we will be building next year.  I have a file full of sketches and pictures, and multiple designs and floor plans built on Punch Pro.  I can't find any good explanation or picture of how to tie a wide gable front into a trussed roof.  I am planning a single story ranch/craftsman style home with the center kitchen and living area vaulted with raised heel trusses.  Centered at the front of the house would be the intersecting gable roofline.  I suppose this is the same as a dormer, but much wider and intersecting as near as possible to the ridgeline. 

If I can clear this explanation up any more please let me know.  Thank you all for any advice.

knightbuild

For a good visual, this is what I'm after.  I'm not after this particular house, but it does show the intersecting gable front that I am trying to figure out.  I have not figured out the photo server thing in the tutorial, so I apologize for the link.

://www.houseplans.com/plan/1835-square-feet-4-bedrooms-2-bathroom-european-house-plans-0-garage-36942

akwoodchuck

Pretty simple; you'll need two interior load-bearing walls, one on each side of the kitchen/ living area....your scissor trusses sit on these, creating the "dormer". Then you tie in your standard trusses, which bear on the exterior walls, to these with some stick framing. Girder trusses may be required. Better consult with an engineer.
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

UK4X4

Your truss person should be able to provide all you need for this, I have 4 dormers 12ft wide on my roof and they were all done by the truss engineer

post 50-54
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9588.50

knightbuild

Thank you both for the info.  The girder truss really helped me to understand how to make this work.