Northern MN shack

Started by MNshack, August 22, 2013, 08:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNshack

Been checking out this site for awhile now a figured it was time I join.

Last year I finally bought a piece of property in NE MN in the area we deer hunt in.  My plan is to build a hunting and get away shack there hopefully next year.  I am thinking about building the 1 1/2 story cabin, I really like the size and looks of it.

The piece I bought we have been hunting on it and around it for many years, and had been for sale for at least 5 years and probably closer to 10 years.  They finally had brought the price down enough that I did not feel like I was insulting them with my offer.  It is a 60 acre parcel that is about 7 miles off a main road down a logging road.  The real neat thing about it is it would appear that it has only been ever logged once, back in the 1880s or so.  So it has some very large timber on it, mostly white cedar, birch, fir, spruce, and a some very large white pine.  The property sites on the very edge of a large tamerack/spruce swamp.  I am planning on building the place to overlook that.

I already have started clearing the building site and the drive in.  It will never have direct power hookup as the nearest power line is at least 6 miles away.  I also do not have winter access except by snowmobile.  Which are some of the reasons I really do like the property.  It is also one of the only private properties with in a couple miles, mostly county or state land.  Down the whole 7 miles of logging road there is only one other shack that is on rented county land.

A couple questions for you guys.  Has anyone built the story and a half with a full up stairs not just half of it open and half liveable?  Is there any advantage to having the open space,  I do like the looks of it but am thinking I would like a little more space and it may be easier to heat up faster with no open loft.  Will be heating with wood and probably have propane lights for starters but really looking into solar.

Enough from me for now but I will try to post some pictures next time I am able to get some.

Tickhill

Welcome, glad to have you. Looking forward to the pictures of your property and build.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

jaransont3

Welcome aboard.  We have a cabin up on the Iron Range in Northern MN.  Great part of the country.

As for your question....the closed ceiling will be much easier to heat the lower level than if there is an open loft.  However it will harder to get heat up to the loft area if it is going to be more than just cold storage.

In our case we opened up the ceiling and added some dormers to let light in, give it some architectural interest, and make it feel bigger.  Our partial loft will be used for storage and maybe sleeping when the kids come for a visit.

Looking forward to pictures of your land and progress.
John Jaranson
Home: Dearborn, MI  Cabin: Iron Range, MN

MNshack

Thanks for the welcome guys.

As for the heat in the "loft" area I was thinking about having grates in the floor like they did in the old days.