Getting started with chainsaw milling

Started by hpinson, August 16, 2013, 11:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpinson

Hi. We are having a Juniper kill and I have some very old and straight juniper that I need to harvest.  I would like to make some beams.  The trees are 18" to 20" in diameter mostly, and the trunks are straight for about 14'.

What size / power saw would I need, and does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive but effective chainsaw mill for occasional use?

I have a 60cc saw with a 20" bar. I believe it can take a 24" bar without any problem.  Will this size saw with the 20" bar do?

Arky217

Quote from: hpinson on August 16, 2013, 11:03:22 AM
Hi. We are having a Juniper kill and I have some very old and straight juniper that I need to harvest.  I would like to make some beams.  The trees are 18" to 20" in diameter mostly, and the trunks are straight for about 14'.

What size / power saw would I need, and does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive but effective chainsaw mill for occasional use?

I have a 60cc saw with a 20" bar. I believe it can take a 24" bar without any problem.  Will this size saw with the 20" bar do?

The 20" bar will be ok; the 60cc saw would be marginal.
I had a Logosol chainsaw mill and a 95cc Husky; I wouldn't have wanted a smaller saw.
If you do a muffler mod on the 60cc, it will make a big difference in power.
And if you keep the chain razor sharp, at the right angles, that would also help in a big way.

An Alaskan mill or Logosol Big Mill can be bought for a relatively inexpensive price.
If you're only going to cut beams, that will be the cheapest way to go.

If you're going to cut very much lumber, however, you will be glad you invested in a band mill.

Below is a link I posted on the Forestry Forum that shows my operation when I was milling lumber with
the Logosol that I used to build my retirement house.

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39153.msg563419.html#msg563419

Best of luck,
Arky