Author Topic: 220 outlets  (Read 2769 times)

Offline peternap

• Journeyman
220 outlets
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:28:16 AM »
OK...I'm 220 outlet ignorant!

I want to use my welder with my generator. All my Generators have this outlet:

My welder needs this outlet:

Does anyone make an adapter or do I have to replace the plug? :-\
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Offline diyfrank

Re: 220 outlets
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 05:06:02 AM »
Your generator takes the 30 amp L14 plug. You can buy a pig tail that your welder takes and put an L14 plug on the other end, if I understanding your question.
Home is where you make it

Offline peternap

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 05:09:45 AM »
Yep, that's what I was looking for. Thanks !
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Offline Windpower

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »
I made a extention cord for my welder -- it is useful

you should use 10 GA 4 wire cable (expensive ) there are 2 grounds and 2 120 VAC legs on the generator plug

One ground should be an actual earth ground for safety (it is the green one inside the generator plug where you connect the wires)

"X" and "Y" are the 120 VAC  L1 and L2

the other is W (for white I guess) that is the other ground used for the L1 and L2 lines

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Offline craig

• Apprentice
  • Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:25:21 AM »
The W terminal on the 4-pin twistlock is the neutral. The G is the ground. You should only use the W terminal in 120 VAC applications. To hook up your welder plug on 220VAC, you should use the X and Y for the hot legs and G for the ground.

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 37 - 1132KB. (show)
Cache hits: 11: 0.00159s for 40,731 bytes (show)
Queries used: 28.

[Show Queries]