24x36 off grid cabin central Kentucky

Started by zombie_slayer73, September 08, 2012, 12:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie_slayer73

I'm currently active duty Air Force stationed in Massachusetts.  I purchased 13.6371 acres last year.  Not that I know exactly how much  ;)  After saving up the last year I've started to build my cabin this week with the help of my best friend who I met while we were both in the Air Force.  He already has a thread on here which many of you may have already seen http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9259.0  I'm preparing or when I'm out of the Air Force.  My enlistment is up November 2013 and that will complete my eight years of service and I do not plan on re-enlisting.  Below are pics after three days of building.  The first floor will have the living room, kitchen, one bedroom and a bathroom.  Upstairs will have two bedrooms, an office area and a bathroom.  More pics will be coming the next two weeks.  I took three weeks of leave to get as much building done as possible.  I appreciate any helpful suggestions or comments you can provide.

NavyDave

Looks like you've definitely made your leave period productive!  w* and good luck with your plan.

Redoverfarm

w*  Looks like you made the right choice on subfloor.  It is hard to beat especially if you can't get it roofed in a timely fashion.  Look forward to your build. 

zombie_slayer73

Quote from: NavyDave on September 08, 2012, 01:35:43 PM
Looks like you've definitely made your leave period productive!  w* and good luck with your plan.

Thanks! This is going to be the hardest working leave I've ever had

zombie_slayer73

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 08, 2012, 02:36:18 PM
w*  Looks like you made the right choice on subfloor.  It is hard to beat especially if you can't get it roofed in a timely fashion.  Look forward to your build.

Thanks and I'll be posting pics after each day I build.

Barry Broome

Wow you guys aren't wasting any time   :) There's nothing like a fresh rain on your newly laid floor... I think it happens to everyone on here, it's like an omen.
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Rob_O

Three days... At this rate you'll be putting paint on the drywall by next weekend!
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

mldrenen

nice looking build so far, and that looks like a great piece of property.

where in massachusetts are you stationed?

zombie_slayer73

Quote from: Barry Broome on September 09, 2012, 04:11:38 AM
Wow you guys aren't wasting any time   :) There's nothing like a fresh rain on your newly laid floor... I think it happens to everyone on here, it's like an omen.

Yeah it rained here the first couple days I was here.  Luckily not when we were working.

zombie_slayer73

Quote from: Rob_O on September 09, 2012, 08:02:35 PM
Three days... At this rate you'll be putting paint on the drywall by next weekend!

Thanks!  I'm hoping that will be the case.

zombie_slayer73

Quote from: mldrenen on September 10, 2012, 01:32:00 AM
nice looking build so far, and that looks like a great piece of property.

where in massachusetts are you stationed?

Thanks!  And I'm stationed at Hanscom Air Force Base.  Its about 15 miles from Boston.

jenny k

Wow you are working fast!! I am psyched for you! This is the first time I have posted on here and have followed this site for at least 4 years.  The reason for starting now, is that the dimensions of your cabin caught my eye and you are closer to where I am on location, size, and a few other things than any of the others who have posted.  So, having said that, I am very interested in following your post, and would love to come see the finished product.  I am in central Tennessee...as of right now there are no building codes in our county :) so we hope to get to do this before that changes. Keep up the good work!

Sassy

w*  You definitely DO work fast & beautiful area  :)  My dad was in the Air Force for 30 yrs - when I was a kid we were stationed near Chickapee (sp) Falls at Westover AFB in Mass.  I loved it there - the fall colors, ice skating & sledding in the winter. 

Looking forward to watching your build progress!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

mountainlady1956

Hmm, born in Fitchburg Mass which is west of Hanscom. Fun for playing in the snow, not so fun as an adult driving in snow for work. Of couse I'm kinda chicken :-\ Moving along good. You really worked hard-certainly will be worth it in the end!

zombie_slayer73

Quote from: jenny k on September 11, 2012, 03:14:56 AM
Wow you are working fast!! I am psyched for you! This is the first time I have posted on here and have followed this site for at least 4 years.  The reason for starting now, is that the dimensions of your cabin caught my eye and you are closer to where I am on location, size, and a few other things than any of the others who have posted.  So, having said that, I am very interested in following your post, and would love to come see the finished product.  I am in central Tennessee...as of right now there are no building codes in our county :) so we hope to get to do this before that changes. Keep up the good work!

Well I'm glad that I have inspired someone to join and start posting.  You would definitely be very welcome to come see the finished product!

zombie_slayer73

Quote from: Sassy on September 11, 2012, 01:54:53 PM
w*  You definitely DO work fast & beautiful area  :)  My dad was in the Air Force for 30 yrs - when I was a kid we were stationed near Chickapee (sp) Falls at Westover AFB in Mass.  I loved it there - the fall colors, ice skating & sledding in the winter. 

Looking forward to watching your build progress!

My dad was also in the Air Force.  He retired after 21 years.  I lived overseas in Japan and England from k to 10th grade.  Also have lived in Arkansas, Illinois, North Carolina and now Massachusetts.

zombie_slayer73

Quote from: mountainlady1956 on September 11, 2012, 10:14:03 PM
Hmm, born in Fitchburg Mass which is west of Hanscom. Fun for playing in the snow, not so fun as an adult driving in snow for work. Of couse I'm kinda chicken :-\ Moving along good. You really worked hard-certainly will be worth it in the end!

I have actually been impressed with how well the roads are cleared in the one winter I've been through in Mass.  But from what I hear it was an easy winter.  And yes it certainly will be worth it in the end!

zombie_slayer73

More pictures of the work for this week.  Had some delays by having to go into town a few times to get things.  But I did pick up the sliding doors for the back and french doors for the front.

The view from the second floor

NavyDave

Great progress so far in the short time you've been at it! How many guys are on your work crew? Keep pounding those nails and making sawdust, I'm enjoying the pics!

ColchesterCabin

Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

zombie_slayer73

Quote from: NavyDave on September 12, 2012, 09:00:34 PM
Great progress so far in the short time you've been at it! How many guys are on your work crew? Keep pounding those nails and making sawdust, I'm enjoying the pics!

Thanks!  Its just me and my friend.  We had someone help drill holes but that has been it so far.  We are actually at a standstill until Saturday.  One of our friends is going to come in and help with the rafters.  But for almost everything its been just two people so far.

jenny k

I would love to see the floor plan that you have in mind.  You are really making headway!  Keep up the great work! If you are looking for particulars, I would be glad to help.  There is a Habitat for Humanity store not too far from where I am and they have constructors and just folks remodeling, donate stuff all the time. I got a black side by side GE fridge for $200.  Theres not a scratch on it and it works perfect :D They have lots of building materials at times.  Saw a guy buy an electric paint sprayer for $10! I was a little late on that one.  They test everything that comes in to make sure it works.  There may be one in your area. Sorry for rambling, I get excited about good deals and saving money.lol Keep the pics coming :D

zombie_slayer73

Quote from: jenny k on September 14, 2012, 02:18:20 PM
I would love to see the floor plan that you have in mind.  You are really making headway!  Keep up the great work! If you are looking for particulars, I would be glad to help.  There is a Habitat for Humanity store not too far from where I am and they have constructors and just folks remodeling, donate stuff all the time. I got a black side by side GE fridge for $200.  Theres not a scratch on it and it works perfect :D They have lots of building materials at times.  Saw a guy buy an electric paint sprayer for $10! I was a little late on that one.  They test everything that comes in to make sure it works.  There may be one in your area. Sorry for rambling, I get excited about good deals and saving money.lol Keep the pics coming :D

Thanks!  I'll be sure to check out that store.  There is one about 30 minutes from here.

zombie_slayer73

More pics from the work last night.  We started at 10 and finished at about 2am.  Luckily for me I have two good friends who know what they're doing and have been great with helping.  I'm pretty new to a lot of this stuff so I'm learning a lot from them.