Pressure Treated Beams?

Started by MWAndrus, March 18, 2012, 06:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWAndrus

I am at the point where I am ready to start ordering some of the long lead time parts. I am looking at my beams and beam seats and wondering if I should use pressure treated lumber for my beams. My thought is that they don't need to be PT because they are not in direct contact with the ground or water. At the lowest point they will be about 18" from the ground. There will be plenty of air flow around them, so if they do get wet, they will be able to dry. If I decide to not use PT lumber, then I don't need to spend the extra money getting the beam seats hot dipped galvanized.

alex trent

Seems to me that the difference in HDG and not on the beam seats is a pretty trivial expense//considering the total cost of the project, compared to reasons why you would want to used treated lumber.  You don't say where you are located, but for a lot of pests that can cause problems, you don't need to be in ground contact or constantly wet.

MountainDon

PT is not required for beams/girders that have their lower edge higher than 12" above grade. It would be sest that they don't get soaked though.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rocking23nf

whats the purpose of that outer perimeter board? looks like a waste of time to me.

fishing_guy

Quote from: rocking23nf on March 20, 2012, 09:27:12 AM
whats the purpose of that outer perimeter board? looks like a waste of time to me.
Looks to me like they're using it to attach the diagonal bracing to.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

MWAndrus

Diagonal bracing and something to attach the skirting to.