Author Topic: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)  (Read 901496 times)

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)
« Reply #2900 on: July 26, 2018, 02:54:35 PM »
Did a little check and actually I should be able to run 550 feet of 10awg wire to a spot I can get signal and direct bury it and stay under a 5% voltage drop.

1 conductors per phase utilizing a #10 Copper conductor will limit the voltage drop to 4.81% or less when supplying 5.0 amps for 550 feet on a 120 volt system.
So in theory, I could run 120v out to a short antenna where I know I can get signal.  Of course, the problem is that my research so far tells me it would run close to $500 to get wire out to the cell booster and then I'm not sure how I get that signal back the 500 feet to the cabin but I'll keep looking.

I'm very hopeful I will find a solution as I'm tired of paying the $120 a month I now pay for phone and internet that is rarely used.  it's just a big waste of money but I need it for my job.

Offline JavaMan

• Rock Of Ages Ranch - Somewhere in the Okanogan
    • The Lodge at Rock Of Ages Ranch
« Reply #2901 on: July 27, 2018, 06:38:53 AM »
have you looked into long distance WiFi providers in the area.  I know Okanogan County has a few that will put up a link.  I've looked into them and they tell me they don't have service out my way, but I want to get a "war driving" app and see if I can receive and of them out my way.  The down side is they may not publish the SSID.  For me it's not a huge rush because I get cell service (and it seems to improve every year since I've bought the place), but I do want something a bit faster than 4g/LTE at some point.

I don't recall if you're still in Okanogan county, but if you are, you can check this page out for providers in the area that do wireless.  Also someplace on that site (or one of the providers site), I seem to recall seeing a map of where the various access points were located

https://www.okanoganpud.org/content/retail-service-providers-rsp

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2902 on: July 27, 2018, 06:53:28 AM »
I know folks that get NCI datacom but I am in a hole a d dont want to pay more for phone or internet.  If u can get a cell booster to work I would be good. ;)  and yes still in the Okanagan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:27:52 AM by OlJarhead »

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2903 on: August 01, 2018, 04:11:08 AM »
First test was a bust :(  No cell coverage even where I normally have it.  Wonder if the forest fire smoke has anything to do with it  ???

On the otherhand the Outback was putting out 5amps when I arrived and the Morningstar was too.  Outback said "charged" not long after and stopped putting out anything to the batts while the Morningstar picked up the amps to 8amps.  I found that interesting and will need to look further into the outback programming.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2904 on: August 09, 2018, 04:21:46 AM »
Weird thing though, with the solar array offline I was getting voltage at the PV ports on the controller.  Not sure how that's possible frankly since they were wired to the PV combiner box and the breaker was off and the panels were NOT wired to the terminals ???

and the answer is...."The PV voltage will slowly rise to the battery voltage level even when the PV breaker is off – this is normal as the PV capacitors charge up. "

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2905 on: August 09, 2018, 04:27:26 AM »
First test was a bust :(  No cell coverage even where I normally have it.  Wonder if the forest fire smoke has anything to do with it  ???

On the otherhand the Outback was putting out 5amps when I arrived and the Morningstar was too.  Outback said "charged" not long after and stopped putting out anything to the batts while the Morningstar picked up the amps to 8amps.  I found that interesting and will need to look further into the outback programming.

and the answer here is:  "Charged   
There is an external DC source other than PV keeping the battery above the Float voltage set point (see page 26).  The FLEXmax will stop charging because it is not needed.  The display may also appear when the cycle is transitioning from Absorbing (upper target voltage) to Floating (lower voltage). "

That other DC power source is the Morningstar MPPT controller doing it's thing and since the panels are in different places and the Morningstar doesn't know better it will just maintain float but clearly the Outback will 'wake up' if the Morningstar stops getting enough light to maintain float.

I can say at this point my setup appears to be charging up the batteries in record time! :D and I still have 3 panels to go!  Only thing I might add some day is a 3rd controller (another outback) and then convert the morningstar for diversion loading.  After all, if I have enough power to maintain the batteries in the winter why not divert power to a heater in the porch or cabin?

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2906 on: August 14, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »
Got up there today to check on the power and meet the gen guy but got the date wrong and need to go back tomorrow.  Good thing I showed up though as power was in alarm and the inverter was off so the generator battery was dead  ??? d* >:(  I think this may have happened when the generator tech came out to replace a part and something must have gone wrong (over volt maybe?) and kicked the inverter into alarm.  I reset it and all seemed fine but the gen batt was at 10.5v so I left the cabin hoping it would be fully charged tomorrow when the gen guy arrives and we take a look to see what's going on.

I'm not liking this aspect frankly, as there should be nothing wrong since they changed out the main processing/controlling unit but who knows.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2907 on: August 16, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »
Sheesh.  They sent the wrong controller so I have to wait another week.

Meanwhile the outback combined with the Morningstar are charging the batteries at record rates despite the smoke :)  Saw 25amps at noon and it was climbing....and 3 panels aren't up yet :D  I did see the batts at 29.6vdc though for much longer than I thought they should be so I need to check that and map what's going on.

Checked cell and in the smoke got -103dbm about 80 feet above the ground at the cabin so roughly 60 feet above the cabin.  Not what I was hoping for but more checking to do.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2908 on: August 26, 2018, 07:06:17 AM »
It's difficult to get good pictures of the flooring in the shop but I'm finally working on it :D

It will be a mix of ponderosa pine (seen here) and doug fir stained with 2 coats of dark tung oil and 5 or 6 of the clear (which is kind of honey colored actually). 

This is two coats of dark and 1 clear.  It's actually a little darker with more honey in it to the naked eye but the lights were pretty bright in the shop

After using the mill to remove any crown in the boards and trimming them all to the same size I took all those trimmings and made some kindling for the cabin :)  Best kindling ever!

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #2909 on: August 26, 2018, 10:39:04 AM »
Good kindling!!  You can almost never have too much.  ;D   Though I use less than I used to since I started using pine needles instead of paper as the starter.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2910 on: August 27, 2018, 03:43:24 AM »
Sure is nice to use.  Haven't tried the pine needles yet (I actually forgot about your doing that) and need to.

Still no work from Generac/Energy Systems on when I will get my new controller  ??? sorta makes me worried.  I need to get up there this week to check on the place and my wife and I will be up this weekend to split wood and work on the porch.  Might be able to bring up some flooring too.

Offline Nate R

• Apprentice
  • Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #2911 on: August 27, 2018, 08:24:58 AM »
Sure is nice to use.  Haven't tried the pine needles yet (I actually forgot about your doing that) and need to.

Still no work from Generac/Energy Systems on when I will get my new controller  ??? sorta makes me worried.  I need to get up there this week to check on the place and my wife and I will be up this weekend to split wood and work on the porch.  Might be able to bring up some flooring too.

The way it's going, you won't need the generator anymore with all those panels!  ;) ;D

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2912 on: August 27, 2018, 11:09:29 AM »
That is the hope! :D  Though winter is always a time of low solar production regardless but I'm hoping to see massive improvement :D

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2913 on: August 31, 2018, 04:18:08 AM »
and this time the generator is fixed!  4th time's a charm I guess ;)  d*

Seems they did indeed bring the wrong controller and after the first 3 attempts to get it working it was realized (one letter difference on the part number and an owner -- me -- insisting there was nothing wrong but the control board).  Now things are back to normal and I can get back to it!

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2914 on: September 02, 2018, 12:32:19 PM »
So the outback controller goes into in 'charged' and stops trying push electrons into the batteries but the Morningstar says "not so!" and keeps pushing into the string.  I can adjust the Morningstar to not add 30m of absorption but am not sure.  Maybe I should looks closer at the Outback programming.  What I see is both controllers ramp up to 29.6v on the bank and then run for about two hours before the Outback backs off and heads to float and the Morningstart continues to push into the bank for up to 3hrs.

Have to do some thinking here about how to make two controllers work together perhaps

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #2915 on: September 02, 2018, 02:23:41 PM »
I've never used a Morningstar but I have used Outback FM's and Midnite charge controllers. They can be set to do absorb by time or by end amps.  Does the Morningstar allow the absorb time to be programmed?  If they both can be set for absorb time then they should go to float within a minute or so of each other, assuming the bulk voltage is set the same on both and they are both charging the same battery bank.

???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2916 on: September 03, 2018, 02:26:37 PM »
I've never used a Morningstar but I have used Outback FM's and Midnite charge controllers. They can be set to do absorb by time or by end amps.  Does the Morningstar allow the absorb time to be programmed?  If they both can be set for absorb time then they should go to float within a minute or so of each other, assuming the bulk voltage is set the same on both and they are both charging the same battery bank.

???

Yes.  I figured out the issue, i think.  The MS controller allows 30m longer in absorb if the bank drops to 25v or below.  So, while the Outback stops absorb the MS continues for 30m longer (assuming the absorb on the OB is 150m)

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2917 on: September 11, 2018, 02:53:11 PM »
Working on the flooring now :D  Can't wait to get it ready to install and took 10 days off in October to either hunt or get the darn floor in (or both).

Offline Gary O

• Journeyman
  • Oregon
    • WUNNEEZDAZE, our cabin building experience
« Reply #2918 on: September 11, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
Working on the flooring now :D  Can't wait to get it ready to install and took 10 days off in October to either hunt or get the darn floor in (or both).

Tough choice

The floor looks gorgeous!!
I’m enjoying all that I own, the moment.

“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 38 - 1121KB. (show)
Cache hits: 12: 0.00231s for 40,633 bytes (show)
Queries used: 23.

[Show Queries]