Home Depot going down?

Started by dug, July 19, 2011, 08:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

I was visiting my mom in the big city the last few days and stopped in the HD to look at light fixtures and a few other things. The first thing I noticed was that they only had one isle of lighting products where there used to be two. Second, the place was deserted. It was prime time (about 5 PM) and there were at least three employees per customer, most of them hanging around and shooting the breeze. The appliance section was also very low on stock. I was in there 20 or 30 minutes and was asked if I needed help 6 or 7 times, which kind of creeped me out. I used to go there a lot when I lived in Tucson and employees would literally run for cover if I tried to seek them out, and unless I went at 6 AM when they opened (which I often did) they were always busy.

It was  a similar experience for me two other times I've been there over the last few months.  I went to Lowe's also and though their stock was much better business was very lack luster as well. I was hiding from employees because they were constantly trying to "help" me.

Just wondering if others have had similar experiences at big box stores in different areas.   ???

astidham

The big box stores in my area are always busy.
the people working in my local stores mainly lack the knowledge of any help I need...
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Windpower

Yep

Local HD, L, and Menards  are all at 'desperation' levels

Locally, Edward Hines lumber is all but out of business

Hoping for some good bargains for the new house ...
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

waggin

My local Lowes seems busy most of the time when I go there, especially if I have to go on a weekend.  Employees are professional and helpful and will even walk you over to the person who can answer your questions.  Something I noticed a couple of years ago was Home Depot stores in general returning to having people with actual experience in a trade.  This is after years of the scenario of virtually every employee saying something to the effect of that this isn't my section, but I'll call someone to help you.  Tumbleweeds proceeded to roll past after that.  When you finally did corner someone who is actually working in the aisle where you need help and asked something, you couldn't help but suspect that they'd eventually slip up and accidentally ask, "Would you like fries with that?"  Interestingly, the Home Depot here doesn't seem to be as busy as Lowes.  Not sure what to make of that.  They're not located adjacent to each other, however, so location may play a part there.  My guess is that they're all hungry and trying to get whatever share they can of the decreasing consumer dollars being spent.  Oddly enough, that means a return to providing customer service...what a concept, huh?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

Native_NM

Nope, going up.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=HD

After they pitched Nardelli out they've been focusing on service and pricing.  They had the rep as the contractor big box, leaving Lowes to the homeowner.  It was a bad perception.  After the housing market burst they have refocused.  Read their 10-K. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

peternap

It may be going up in general but when I have to go to the nearest one, it's empty and the prices are going up.

The store is always messy and dirty and nothing is marked. I really hate HD's!

No need to talk about the employees other than to say that I don't understand why, with so many contractors looking for any kind of work, they have to steal McDonalds employees. >:(
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

rick91351

I am still finding as good or better buys at the local Do It Best, True Value and lumber yard and well as ranch and farm supply store. 

I avoid the big box stores as much as I can, but on those occasions when I can not.  Maybe a couple times a month: 

With HD here it is much as described - empty of customers.  A few employees standing around talking to each other.  To me the stores are dim lit and look dirty.

All the Lowes here have better lighting and seem to be more alive, fresh and cleaner and costumers seem to be shopping.

Native_NMs post makes me wonder if they are not cooking the books. Getting the stock to jump so the major investors can jump before they crash.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Squirl

HD seems to be way up in margins this year.  This might explain what you saw.  Maybe they are switching to higher margin inventory and cutting payrolls.  I noticed Lowes has a higher gross profit margin, but a lower Operating Margin than HD.  This would go with what a lot of people have noticed.  Lowes spends more on stores and people than HD.  I like the local building supply.  The prices are competitive.  The hours suck though.  I shop at sLowes the rest of the time.

MushCreek

HD is always busy in our area; Lowe's is much slower. I tend to go to Lowe's because it's closer, it's less crowded, and they don't try to 'help' you every ten seconds. I was in HD Saturday looking at nails, and 4 different people asked if they could help me! I really get tired of that.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Native_NM

HD took some heat for ignoring their customers.  Now they've gone the other way and they take heat. They need to find some middle ground between apathy and stalking. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

glenn kangiser

I have noticed many times that the parking lots are empty enough I wonder if they have enough business to be open.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Both big Blue and Orange seem to be busy here. I do have a summer preference for Big Blue though as their stores (here) use refrigerated A/C whereas the Big Orange use evaporative coolers (swamp coolers).  ;D  Both have knowledgeable staff for the most part I'd say.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

pmichelsen

I recently switched to Blue, I was always an Orange guy but since they have recently built Blues close to the Oranges I decided to give them a try. So far so good, plus being a new store everything is clean and hasn't had a chance to get mixed up and in the wrong section. I'm sure in time it will deteriorate to the level of Orange but for now...

I have also been picking up a lot of my lumber at the local yards, I am paying more but the quality seems to be better and they have a greater selection.