Ways to keep stuff dry.

Started by suburbancowboy, June 08, 2011, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbancowboy

I am starting on the walls this weekend on my 20X36 and I am seeking input on how to keep things dry until I get the whole thing dried in.  Currently on the floor I have 3 12X20 foot tarps, but once the 12 foot walls go up then this wont work as the tarp will sag in the middle and I worry about the wind tearing the tarp apart.  I think it will take me another 5 weeks to get it dried in as most of the work is done by myself and sometimes my wife.  What have others done to solve this issue?

duncanshannon

Way Cool  [cool] to hear you are starting to build!  Don't forget that build thread....

I havent tried to do this yet... i think the consensus is that its gonna get wet either way!   Guess the goal would be to minimize the pooling, eh?

There is a particular type of sub-floor that is more water resistant Advantech I think http://www.advantechperforms.com/product-lineup/advantech-flooring.aspx  Is deff. more expensive.

Build a brace / temp wall to help tent the tarps.  Let us know if you figure out a way to keep it dry!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

considerations

When the stud walls went up....I still used tarps. Since I had used the same ones to drape over the floor deck they were larger than the floor area.  So, I took those same tarps and hung the edges on nails about 3 ft up the studs at one end of the floor - covered the whole floor - and snaked part of the other end out a door opening.

After it rained this made it pretty easy to get under the high edge of the tarp and "turtle walk" the water to the door opening and off the tarp.  I was lucky because we did not experience a lot of wind at the same time as the rain so very little got under the tarp, and what did evaporated quickly as much of the tarp was suspended above the floor.   Maybe this will help.