Burying cistern tanks

Started by Arky217, June 06, 2011, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

These 275 gal. plastic tanks with the aluminum framing around them are becoming available quite often now. Some of them have had food grade material in them, and if properly cleaned, would probably be ok for potable water.

With cistern water tanks going for $1 per 3 or less gallons, these plastic 'totes' may possibly be a good 'poor man's' cistern. I have seen some of these (food grade) for as low as $40.

But I'm wondering if there may be any way to bury them without the sides collapsing, seeing as how they aren't round.

I live in western Arkansas, where it has been known to stay below freezing for several days on end. Perhaps the tanks could sit above ground within an insulated enclosure ?

Anyone have an idea how to use tanks of this type for a cistern arrangement ?

Thanks,
Arky

suburbancowboy

I think that in the long run you would regret going this direction.  I would stick to the classifieds and find a tank that is designed for the use.  What you described is like using a cheap tractor to commute to work.  It will get you there but is that really what you want?

dug

Those containers are about the least expensive as far as gallons per dollar but I wouldn't bury them, unless you framed around them and maybe allowed access from the top.

A friend of mine just installed a (new/unused) septic tank for his cistern and said it was relatively cheap storage per gallon, I can't remember the numbers. Steel culvert piping in various diameters can sometimes be had for cheap and works well.

I wouldn't bury it though, better to use gravity rather than electricity to pump the water.  ;)

Squirl

1000 concrete septic tanks are $500 around me.  $100 delivery.  Around $.60 per gallon.  Granted it is not $.33. You might even be able to build one cheaper. Most of those plastic tanks purchased at that price used should never be used for potable water.  Everyone I had found for sale at that price said "I don't know"  when I asked about the history and if they bought it new.  A few told me straight out they were used for chemicals.  My recollection was that there were a few from farmers that used them to ship molasses, but they were so sold a premium because you could use them for food grade.  I am not a trusting person when it comes to something like that, so that may be a flaw on my part.

Squirl

Sorry I didn't answer your original question.  Maybe you could morter a rock wall around them to hold back soil pressure.

jdhen

I live in Northwest Arkansas and my poly tanks are 1650 gal.  Even with that much water mass they will freeze on the top and sides when temps stay below freezing for more than a day.  This past winter, we surrounded the tank we draw from with straw bales and it worked like a charm.   During the coldest spell, the top of the water formed a very thin ice crust but never interrupted flow from the tank.
This month I'm having a 1500 gallon cement tank buried with j-bolts embedded in the top so I can build an insulated structure above the tank to house my filtering equipment and pressure tank.  It's going to cost .85 cents/gal installed.
The poly tanks cost about .36 cents/gal delivered.
I don't know where you are in Arkansas but I know a man in Oklahoma near Talimena who has been collecting water for 10 years with 1000gal poly tanks.  He buried the bottom 6 inches of each tank which protects the bulkhead from which he extracts the water from the tank.  He says he never has problems with freezing even when the top of the tank is solid ice.  It happens a bit less often than here because he is further south.
Jesse