Beam supports - lally column and log

Started by UK4X4, March 01, 2011, 10:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK4X4

I'm detailing my plans and have 2 beam support solutions required.........yes I can make myself but I'm in a code area and require something fit for purpose..or will they accept well made home built

issue 1

Basement - lally colomn to 4 way support where to find it ?

Below is a post supported version - but I need a steel column version -  simpson don't do one, and says I can't weld to this wood post version....

however I'd be only welding to the lower part, to me welding a circular tube to the bottom would not compromise its strength

I have both the skillsand welding gear to make one-but would it be legal ? ie out 1/4" plate with fillets down to the support ring

Issue 2

Outside deck

I'd rather use logs to support my deck than square wood posts, height would be about 20ft, supporting the porch roof and the deck below

Making a flat one side and recessing an inch probably would not be good enough, recessing for a 3x beam would take out too much meat.

Both ways would introduce water into the log end grain.

So would I be able to make and use a heavy duty beam support bracket simmilar to the wings on the lower beam in the pic, lag or bolted through the log.
think of a heavy duty shelf braket 6" wide shelf for the beam and 12 " long , or down the log with a triangular web

Don_P

Simpson should be able to make a custom bracket $$. It technically should be a certified welder with an engineered drawing. All depending on the inspector they've allowed me to do some of my own work.

The porch post, I'd be tempted to platform frame it with a cap of some type on the lower post and a knife plate connecting through the deck framing up into the base of the upper log post. I'd also borate the logs heavily and probably insert some borate rods into the bases of the posts. The bases should be up on treated blocks or similar to help keep them dry.