Skirting

Started by cmsilvay, November 14, 2010, 09:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsilvay

Looking for some ideas for skirting our place. I have used osb to skirt our place but now since we are in the home stretch of finishing (for now LOL) I am looking into making it look finished. On thought I had was framing it out using PT lumber on a gravel bed then putting concrete board and a faux rock or just scratch coating the cement board to give the impression of a regular footing. I cannot seem to get info if the cement board would be ok for that use. I also planned to  insulate the bays

PEG688

Quote from: cmsilvay on November 14, 2010, 09:56:23 AM

On thought I had was framing it out using PT lumber on a gravel bed then putting concrete board and a faux rock or just scratch coating the cement board to give the impression of a regular footing. I cannot seem to get info if the cement board would be ok for that use. I also planned to  insulate the bays

Sounds like a good plan, PT lumber , gravel bed , Hardi backer  , or Wonder board, coated or fake rock.

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/products_backerboard_halfInch.shtml

They don't mention using it as skirting , but they do recommend it for steam rooms and the such.

I've used it before for similar use on a old farm house , 20 or 30 years will tell if it was up to the task.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

cmsilvay

One of reasons I think it will work is while we were working in the the goat pen I found a sheet I "misplaced" 3 years ago it was covered with 1/2' of dirt and other "stuff" It has been in the weather all this tiem and it was in perfect shape.