Model Rockets

Started by sparks, September 30, 2010, 10:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

I picked up a small kit at a hobby shop the other day. Gotta build the whole thing from pieces. Been years since I played with these toys. But they are really educational.....and fun!

My small kit was from Estes....http://www.estesrockets.com/

Centauri is still in the model business also.

To the Moon , Alice!!

sparks

My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

MountainDon

[cool]

We haven't done any of those in a long time!  Our son and I built quite a few including a few custom designs of our own and we would go out in the desert behind us to launch. That was in the old days when we were the last house on the last street.  :( :(

Have fun!!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

Thanks for the memories!   

Imagine . . .    Over 45 years ago, a 10 year kid entertaining at a family reunion/picnic with his display of setting of his rockets.

It's been a long time since I thought of that . . .   Thanks again.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

archimedes

Wow, that brings back good memories.  Have fun.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Windpower

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

MushCreek

We messed around with those a lot as kids- some 40+ years ago. I remember building a beautiful 2-stage, but i figured the second stage wrong, and it was aimed straight DOWN when the second stage finally lit. Not a clean landing....... d*
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

sparks

Seems a few of us built and launched these 'toys' quite a looong time ago.   ;D

When I first got involved in the hobby, I used to roll the tube out of newspaper and soak it in a starch solution and then dry it thoroughly....add the fins and nosecone.

My first experiment doing this didn't work out to well.......at lift off the engine shot right thru the tube and blasted the side of our neighbours house.....the rocket body was still on the launch pad!!

Good thing I never worked for NASA

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

Grimjack

My brothers and I would hollow out the nosecones and either fill with compacted gunpowder or theatrical flash powder. When the ejection charge was set off the whole rocket would explode.....Spectacular!

ScottA

I have one that is over 4' tall. Uses a G motor. Never got around to launching it yet. The last one I launched ended tangled in a power line.