Ever hear about lightening striking up

Started by peternap, May 12, 2010, 08:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Most of us know it happens but I didn't think it produced visible light.
Jane and I are spotters for the Weather Service and this afternoon I was trying to get pictures in a nice little thunderstorm.
Later, I took some of the video frame by frame.

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Interesting shots. Actually I recall reading somewhere that some close high speed photography has shown a faint downward moving trail  at something like 250,000 ft per sec, immediately followed by the brighter upwards strike at some slower speed, maybe 75,000+ fps.  ???  Or I dreamed it.  Maybe we need a kite and a stormy night along with your Canon? 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I recall a bit of that from my pilot training weather studies.  Fireballs of it sometimes go right down through the middle of a plane.  Interesting stuff.

I once could see it flying off off the tips of my (planes) wings in an electrical storm.  Actually that was known as P-static if I recall correctly.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

JavaMan

Thought those were foo fighters.... (not the band)

Oh wait, no, that's something else

Homegrown Tomatoes

I've not seen that before, but have seen ball lightning, which was pretty bizarre.

Sassy

When I was living in Ohio, my brother & I were playing out in the yard & lightening flashed right beside us in a circle - that was kinda startling.  My parents must have told me that meant there was going to be a tornado. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free