doors for 2 x 6 walls

Started by new land owner, March 29, 2010, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

Whenever I go to Lowe's or HD Looking for doors and windows all I see at those for use in a 2 x 4 wall. I want to build a storage building this summer and use 2 x 6 walls.

I know the windows will use a jam extension to make up the difference but I don't think you can due the same to a door because of the threshold.

Am I correct or is there a way to adapt these doors to 2 x 6 walls?

fishing_guy

Just special order one with a jamb designed for 2 x 6 construction.  At least where I shop(Menard's), there is no extra charge for a special order.  In fact, we saw the door we wanted, but the one in the store had a scratch.  We just had to figure out the options, they built one and shipped it to the store.  Same price, but no scratch!
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

MountainDon

Ask them about special ordering one. They are available; I've bought them here in NM, and with most new building using 2x6 framing tell them they are behind the curve. Or check to see if there are local door companies that will be able to supply the 2x6 prehung size you want. They should also be able to adjust the jamb sizes to accommodate things like extra thick drywall or the application of foam insulation sheets on top of the framing. A specially ordered door may cost more, depending on store policy, but you have to balance that against the time and effort to extend the jambs, as well as your skills to do so.

We've also discussed this before....

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?;topic=7698.0
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

davidj

We ordered two standard metal door from a local door-and-window showroom where they don't carry doors in stock - they had 8 or 10 different jamb sizes available, not to mention a million other options.  Iirc, the standard jamb is around 4 9/16" and we went with something like 6 3/4" to allow for 2x6 walls, 3/4" paneling and thicker siding.  However, the thicker jamb definitely added a fair bit to the price - something an extra $100 on a door that only cost a bit over $200 or so to start with.

rocking23nf

they have to carry 2x6 doors, new homes are required to have 2x6 walls here, When i went shopping for a door I found it was mostly 2x6 doors, and very few 2x4 doors.

new land owner

Stopped by the lowes in my area and they do not stock any door for 2 x 6.

The kid there told me that is about $100.00 more for the 2 x 6 doors due to the freight when ordering.

Bobmarlon

I bought a pre hung 36' door for 2X6 wall from HD it was 240 bucks or something this was a huge splurge for me.  You should check craigslist before you buy anything from HD/LOWES.