Glue and Screw Subfloor ?

Started by pioneergal, September 29, 2005, 07:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

We will be entering subfloor phase of our house very soon.

We have been told by most everyone to glue and screw the T&G plywood.

What kind of glue is recommended?

Also, another question, tho dumb it may be.

Is there a glue that could be used to hang sheetrock  rather than the usual screws or nails?

Told you it was a probably a dumb question :-/

Kevin

Any Home store will have subfloor glue. lookfor it where the caulk is.
Kevin

Jimmy C.

I took these pics with my camera phone, so they are not the best quality.
I use it all the time at home depot to take pictures so I can remember prices and products I want to buy later.

This is what I used on my 1-1/8 T&G subfloor.
Then I used 2-1/2 inch deck screws to secure.
It took 10 tubes to do 25 4x8 sheets on joists set at 12 inches apart

My wife is finally getting to walk on the foundation.
 ( I passed her inspection!)

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

saxfordalaska

Get the quart tubes (large) tubes of subfloor adhesive.
Less trash and hassle.  Screws are bombproof but ringshank nails are quick (I used ringshanks on my last house and no squeaks while I was there, but I had good wide flange engineered floor joists.  

You can glue sheetrock walls, but I wouldn't do in on a cieling. Paper would probably rip away from gypsum.

On engineered joists, my stepson humbled me by explaining the diamond on my tape every 19+ inche was for laying out engineneered joists. (Always check span and load info).

greg273

That subfloor glue is pretty stout...usually the wood will rip before the glue will give.  If you get any on you, you'll be picking it off in small pieces for days.  Oh, and wear some old clothes, the stuff is pretty much permanent.
   For laying down your subfloor, put the tongue side to the outside for the first row, lay out the second row of sheets UPSIDE DOWN on top of these, then one by one, stand them gently on their tongues, get em' straight and drop em down. Get a 2x4 as a 'beater board' and use a sledgehammer to pound them together hitting the grooved side. I like to get one side set correctly, then drive an 8penny nail in that top corner as a 'pivot', then pound the other side with the sledge.  
  Ringshank 8d gun nails will work well, and are alot faster and cheaper than screws.  (provided you have access to a power nailer). Regular, smooth shank 8d nails are commonly used in the construction business, I just like to use the ringshanks on my house for overkill purposes.

glenn-k

Many times screws will shear rather than bend in case of movement due to expansion or contraction.  Nails are softer therefore usually bend rather than break, so ringshanks would be the best choice.  

There are places our building department won't allow the use of screws due to this.  I don't know if it's code or not.

Daddymem

What is that old saying?  Screws hold things together, nails hold things up?

pioneergal

We went to Home Depot on Saturday  to do some shopping and price checking.

I went to the paint dept. to check out  prices on subfloor glue when I happened upon what  I thought was a good deal.

Home Depot had marked down the price of the Liquid Nails brand of subfloor glue to $1 a tube (29oz.)

The price was originally $2.77.

What is the shelf life of this product if we keep it at the labels required temperature?

Jimmy_Cason

One year from the manufacture date.

http://www.liquidnails.com/faq.html

pioneergal

Thanks Jimmy for the info.

It looks like we have 4 months to go before the products expiration date.

We'll keep our fingers crossed ..... maybe we can use it by that time......it will be close!