Upgrading my power plans.

Started by Phssthpok, August 22, 2009, 01:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phssthpok

I started down this road a few years back with a 'plan' to go buy, build and live off-grid. Since then I started collecting PV panels, inverts, batteries and all that kinda stuff for an intended 12v only system (12v based inverter for AC :P).

I collected about 1.3 KW of PV panels in the last three years, and now it's looking like, if I want to add wind, it'll be best for me to step up to 24 or 48v. Since higher voltages have less drop over distance, and can use smaller wire, I've decided to take the plunge and step up all the way to 48v. ::)

Because my panels are a mish-mash of manufacturers and models, they don't lend themselves to being seriesed for 48v, which means I put them up for sale. [waiting]

I just hope the sell quickly so I can have cash in hand when I'm down in Florida in a couple of weeks.  :)

[counts on fingers] lessee here... 4350 divided by 521 gets me 8 Kyocera 210w panels for a total of 1680 watts...and a few bucks left over for a new 48v charge controller! [cool]

Virginia Gent

Good luck! Let us know how living off-grid works for you.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

Windpower

I bought 12 205 watt Evergreenfrom Sunelec on ebay

excellent !!

sunelec just sent me an email the evergreens are at $2.58 per watt

go for it !

48 volts is the way to go too

I wish I were closer to FL to pick up some more although the shipping was reasonable last spring -- $250 per pallet IIRC

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.