Can I cantilever all four sides?

Started by markert2523, May 18, 2009, 06:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markert2523

One more question for the modern manshed.

Can the floor deck (2"x8" joists) of my 12x16 manshed rest on two parallel beams of 14' length and spaced 10' apart?

I know it's good to cantilever the ends a little over the beams in the direction the joists are running, but is it ok to have the "sides" hanging over a foot on each side.  Maybe use double rim joists on the 16 footers?

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks

MountainDon

Anything can be done, if it's engineered correctly.

If I understand what you want to do, that is, have the house/shed floor extend past the beams/girders that support the whole shebang in both the width and length directions, how do you envision supporting the structure out beyond the ends of the girders/beams? It's easy to extend the floor joists over the beams a little, but I don't follow the other direction.  ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

markert2523

Sorry Don, I think I'm confusing myself!

I guess what I meant to say is it going to be ok to cantilever the "beams" a foot or so on the sides.  Kind of like this:

I want the beams to cantilever over the end piers 12" so the piers are not as visible.  The beams will be 16', not 14'.

Make more sense?

MountainDon

Quote from: markert2523 on May 18, 2009, 07:16:54 PM

I want the beams to cantilever over the end piers 12" so the piers are not as visible.  The beams will be 16', not 14'.

That is done frequently.  I thought you might be trying some sort of 'sky hook' technique. 

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.