There goes home...

Started by Q, March 08, 2009, 09:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q

Well there goes home, I've used i, friends have used it people I don't know have used it, all 170,000 acres of it.  :(

FACT SHEET

Land holdings for sale with landvest.com  http://www.landvest.com/property/NS0101/1/

Property consists of 170,000 acres in Digby, Annapolis and Yarmouth counties to be sold in three parcels. Bidding closes April 2, 2009. It includes critical wildlife habitats, including old growth forests, rare plant sites, habitat for trout, bobcat and the endgangered mainland moose

1.Weymouth Timberlands in Digby Co. (128,000 acres) including most of the Sissiboo River drainage area, Long Tusket Lake, Silver River, and historic New France;

2.Tusket River Lakes in Clare and Yarmouth Co. (28,000 acres) including Barrio Lake, Barrio Falls and the east bank of the Tusket to North Kempt; and

3. Carleton River Lakes in Clare and Yarmouth Co. (17,000 acres) including the east and south sides of Ogden Lake and the east bank of the Carleton River to Lake Fanning.

To put a face to these 170,000 acres, consider:

• This is twice the size of Keji National Park; it represents 1/3 of Digby county

• It includes the watersheds of the Bear River, Sissiboo River, Tusket River, Silver River and Carleton River

• It encompasses two of Nova Scotia's largest hydro electric systems, feeding over twelve hydro related dams

• It spans 16 km of frontage on the historic Tusket River

• It includes over 250 km of lake frontage on 69 undeveloped lakes

• It includes a 600 km trail system, and a 300 km road network

• The property includes historic and culturally significant areas including New France (Electric City); a WW11 plane crash site; and the Lake Jolly  Clothes Pin Factory

• It borders the Tobeatiac and is within 2 miles of Keji

All in the dark green will be sold...

Basicly Irving the Gas/Logging people are selling 170,000 acres of land, this land has been freely open to anyone, and has been used for many important activities, In a little more then a day, it will be sold to a forgen investor, who's not likely to  keep it open.
While I don't live near it now, I used to and it's sad to see whats becoming of it:(

you can find more here: http://www.landvest.com/property/NS0101/1/
                                      and http://www.buybacknovascotia.ca/Background.html

Homegrown Tomatoes

That stinks, Q.  :(  I know all too well the feeling of watching "home" being sold off to someone who could never love it the way it was loved by you and yours. 

MountainDon

Don't get me wrong; I would hate to have land that I'd been able to use fenced and closed off from me, BUT if I understand correctly, this is privately owned land. It was fortunate for the public that access to it was allowed by the current private owners. I am a huge believer in individual property rights. The same laws that allow me to restrict public access to our modest forested ridge top in NM, apply to any privately owned land regardless of the acreage or whether the ownership is by an individual or a global conglomerate. Private property is Private Property. Period.

That said, once again, yes, it would be terrible to lose access. But it has been a privilege, it is not a right.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.