Anybody got a recipe for green tomatoes?

Started by NM_Shooter, October 24, 2008, 05:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Well, first frost hit last night, and I didn't have my tomatoes covered d*

So now I have about 50 lbs of green tomatoes.  I've never found a good recipe for them that I could say.... "let's do that again".

One thing I had once that was good was a green tomato salsa... sort of pickled.  But I am open to anything.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

Frank there is always the movie.  Fried Green Tomatoes ;D

apaknad

i like fried green tomatos with beer. i make the coating extra spicy!
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I have a few that are pretty good.  But, at the moment I am feeding a baby.  My favorite is fried green tomatoes.  I dip them in a beaten egg and then in cornmeal, add salt and red chilies and fry.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Green Tomato Jam

4 lbs. green tomatoes
4 c. sugar
2 lemons, sliced thinly
1/4 c. vinegar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
dash salt

Place tomatoes in a soup kettle and cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Allow to stand 5 minutes and cover with a lid.  Drain off water and slice tomatoes very thin.  Add sugar, lemon, vinegar, spices and salt.  Let stand covered in kettle overnight or for at least 8 hours.  Then cook tomatoes over moderate heat until they are clear/translucent and liquid is thick and syrupy.  Pour into sterilized canning jars and seal. (boiling water bath 10 min.)

Green Tomato Dill Pickles

15-20 small green tomatoes
dill seed
cloves of garlic peeled
stalks of celery
several green peppers
whole cloves
cayenne pepper
1 qt water
1qt vinegar
1/2 c. salt

pack the tomatoes into sterilized qt. jars prepped for canning.  Add 2 T. dill seed to each jar, 1 clove garlic, 1 stalk celery, 1/4 green pepper, 1 whole clove, and 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper.  in saucepan, boil the water, vinegar and salt for 5 minutes.  Pour this brine into the tomato packed jars to within 1/2 inch of top of jar and seal in boiling water bath 20 minutes.

Green Tomato Dip (this is pretty good... went over well at ladies' Bible study and potluck)

1 1/2 cups green tomatoes, peeled, chopped finely
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. chopped red pepper
1 c. onion, diced
1 T. salt (i used less)
1 T. sugar
1 8-oz. package of cream cheese
1 c. mustard
1 Tbs. celery seed
1/2 tsp dill
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 T. mayo

Finely chop and drain veggies of any juice.  Combine in small bowl and add remaining ingredients and beat well.  Serve with chips, crackers, or veggie sticks.

NM_Shooter

Thanks Homey!  I'm going to try those out.

-f-

Homegrown Tomatoes

The ratings were 50/50 on this one.  I made it for Thanksgiving one year and it all got eaten.  Some people really liked it, and others didn't like that the bottom crust got kind of soggy.  I think it would be better made more like a cobbler with only a top crust.

Green tomato cheese pie

1 9-in pie shell
milk
4 T. butter
2 onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
4-5 large green tomatoes, peeled and sliced
3 T. chopped chives
1 T. lemon juice
2 T flour
1.5 tsp salt (I used less because the cheese is pretty salty already)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese

Brush pie shell with milk, prick with fork and bakein a 450 degree oven for 5 minutes.  Remove from oven to cool.  Melt butter in a large skillet and saute onions and garlic until tender.  Add sliced tomatoes and cook until tender.  Add chives, lemon juice, flour, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently for about 15 minutes.  Pour mixture into pie shell and sprinkle cheese evenly over top.  Bake in 400 degree oven 10-15 minutes until top is browned.  

Homegrown Tomatoes

You're welcome.  FWIW, we made a bunch of the jam one year and it was worth it to see the looks on faces when my girls would ask if they could have a "green tomato and peanut butter" sandwich!  Another thing that is made with green tomatoes is piccalilli... I've tried it that was great before, but I don't like the recipe I have for it.  You could probably google it and come up with a dozen recipes.  The one I had called for 2 c. sugar and made 7 quarts, but it always seems like too much sugar to me.

glenn kangiser

I really like the fried green tomatoes and the jam sounds good- Sassy likes the sound of the dip too.

We still have a while before we have to worry about it I think.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

so far so good here too.... think that we are supposed to get another front in a few days.  At this point we're still getting ripe tomatoes.

Homegrown Tomatoes

So Shooter, did you get to try any of them yet?  Like I said, the pie was good if I could get the crust crispy... I think if you drained off the juice after cooking the veggies together, it might end up better.  Or, do it with a top crust instead? 

NM_Shooter

Tried the fried ones yesterday, and half of my family liked them.  My oldest daughter did not... I didn't tell her what they were and she was expecting a different taste.  I dipped them in egg, and covered them with Italian seasoned bread crumbs and Tony's seasoning.  She kept asking me what they were, and I told her I caught a frog in the pond, and sliced it up and fried it.  No wonder the county wants to take my kids away  ;D

Interesting how the bit of a sour taste comes out once they are fried.  I liked them a lot, so did my youngest daughter.

I want to try the dip next.  How do you peel them?  Scald them in hot water first?

I also like the look of the pickled recipe.  Can you pickle them if you slice them first?

I once tried a salsa type green tomato thing that was awesome.  Sort of a sweet/sour taste that was great on Ritz.

-f-

Homegrown Tomatoes

I've got a recipe for something like that if you wanna try.  It was too sweet for me, but I'm thinking you could reduce the sugar a bit and it would be pretty good.  You should be able to slice and pickle the tomatoes no problem.  And as to peeling them, the easiest way is to scald them, BUT I admit I never peel them unless the skins are exceptionally tough.  (Even when I'm canning spaghetti sauce or whatever... I just grind or chop them up with the skin on.  Some people probably don't like the skins or something.  I don't have any problem with them. 

You can try this if you want:
8 qts. green tomatoes, sliced
3 lbs onions, sliced
3 large green peppers cut in strips
1 c. salt
2 c. sugar
6 c. vinegar
1 c. pickling spice
2 c. water

Layer veggies in soup kettle with salt sprinkled over each layer.  Let stand overnight.  Drain.  Rinse with cold water and drain again.  Add sugar, vinegar, pickling spice and water to kettle and bring to a boil.  Cook mix about 30 minutes, until mixture has thickened slightly.  Ladle into sterilized jars and process in hot water.  Makes about 7 quarts.  (That's funny since you start with 8 quarts of tomatoes alone!)