Butted siding?

Started by ScottA, October 26, 2007, 09:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

I think that is what it's called. Could someone look at the siding on the building shown at this site  http://blueskymod.com/info.html# and tell me how it works? The boards don't appear to overlap but rather are butted together. I like the look and might want to try this on my cabin.

Scott

MountainDon

I'd say those boards aren't even butted... butted to me would mean touching. There appears to be a distinct space.

That final exterior siding is more or less just there for looks. It's cosmetic. The waterproof skin is probably beneath that. How that was accomplished I'm not certain?

:-/
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peter nap

It looks like it has a heavy silicone bead between the boards. This is common with things like marble but I haven't ever seen it on wood (except on bayboats) before.

Should work but it would be a PITA to install.

ScottA

I have no clue, that's why I'm asking. Can't find anything on it with google. Here's another example- http://www.saunders.no/pro_02_02.html from the same Architect.

ScottA

Well after alot of searching and reading I found out how this siding works. Basicly there is an air space between what you see on the outside and an inner wall covered with a waterproof air tight membrane. None of the stuff I read says its good or bad only a different way to do things. Advantages are that the siding can breath better and drys out faster after it rains, provides a semi dead air space and it shades the inner wall from direct sunlight. The boards are not butted but rather have a small open gap between them. No one seems to agree what the spacings should be for the gap anywhere from 3-10mm and 25-50mm for the air space between the siding and wall. Water entering the air space drains out the bottom which is suposed to be left open. Sorry to answer my own question but I hoped someone might have seen this before.

Scott

MountainDon

That makes a lot of sense. The air space behind the siding and waterproof surface should be a min. of 3/8" to guarantee any water behind the siding does not bridge the space.

In that second link you can see the vertical furring strips.

Large commercial buildings [skyscapers] frequently are built with a facade over an air space and the true weatherproofed surface.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peter nap

[highlight]Sorry to answer my own question but I hoped someone might have seen this before.
[/highlight]

Don't be sorry...At least it got answered! ;)