a dumb basic question about tilting up the walls

Started by FrankInWI, September 28, 2007, 08:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWI

bolts are in the perimiter of the slab for the garage.  one one side, a few PVC pipes are also coming up the perimiter (water supply, sink, electric, etc.)  

Even for the three walls where it's just the bolts, am I supposed to be able to "tilt up" the constructed wall so that is tilts up-right nicely with the bolts easing right into the holes?  

regarding the more complex PVC and bolt wall, I see doing that last and building it stick by stick with the sill plate and top plate in place.  Sound right?

Will 2 men be able to tilt up a 28' 2X4 wall?

Thanks
Frank

peter_nap

Every carpenter has his own quirks about raising the walls but the way I always did it was to build it on the deck by first taking the base and jamming it in place to the sill bolts.

Mark the center of the bolts and lay out your studs.

Drill the bolt holes 1/8" larger than the bolt.

Build the wall, wrap it and then stand it so it hits the bolts. Two men can do it with a little fussing but having a third to tap it into place is better. (make sure you snam a line before you start to take any guesswork out.

Anyway.....brace the wall and then use a hole saw to make any plumbing or electrical holes.

Like I said, everyone is different and I expect Des, Peg and Glenn will have a different and probably better way.

glenn-k

QuoteEven for the three walls where it's just the bolts, am I supposed to be able to "tilt up" the constructed wall so that is tilts up-right nicely with the bolts easing right into the holes?

;D

I don't think you'll be that lucky.

I'd say limit it to the length of your bottom plate sections -- maybe 14 feet -- It will still be plenty hard.

peg_688

I'm little late here  :o

Snap you plate lines , make sure the place is square etc , if that matters to you.

Lay your plates out along side the bolts , mark and bore 1/8" over is about right.

Then do your window layout , finally your stud layout.

I figure about 10  LF (of 8' high or so ) feet of 2x6 wall per man , thats sheeted wall, no window installed. 2x4 wall you can get up to around 14 feet long sections.

Slab on grade is always a PITA , lines don't mark well , bolts are in the way , hard to use wall jacks , it can be done but you need to put down temporay sheepers (2x4/ 6's to set jacks up on and still they can slip off be yet another PITA  ::)etc etc .

So for your situation , I'd suggest about 14 LF of wall , unsheeted.  

Do the snap line ,  layout , boring thing  as above , what can help some once your framed up is to slip a block or two under the bottom plates to lift that lower wall higher , BUT NOT ABOVE the bolts , this way when you tip up the wall the bottom plates BITE the bolts , BUT tip up onto them. Once your up right a sledged hammer to knock the wall plates over the holes and down she'll go , a few  more wacks here and there , temp brace the wall , put on the nuts snug , final "tune Up " with the sledge for snap line placement , tight nuts all the way , "plumb and square up" after all sections are up in place , top plated etc and your golden .

Yup slab on grade is nuttin but a PITA , stem walls , stepped foundations , pony walls all create" issues "in standing , sheeting , constructing wall section.

All of which can be over come with brute strenght and pure ignorance ,    ;D something every builder needs  a lil of ;)

G/L PEG    

FrankInWIS

Thanks guys!  It's Sunday night and I am tired, but GOOD tired. The packers beat the heck out of Minnesota while my son set up the sill plates, drilled the holes for the bolts and pvc, and got it all squared up.  Now we are going to take the week after next off and work all day every day to get her well on the way to being weathered in.
We started with the 18V drills to bore the holes for the PVC.  What a joke, I went and bought a hammer drill, 1/2 inch.   Son couldn't believe how a crap job turned easy with the right tool.  Time for my "right tool for the job speech".

Anyway,  I'm always real nervous to get going on task.  I'm nervous with so much money on the line, and if I fail I have a huge mess and have lost a lot of our assets.   Once I get going though, it turns out well, and I feel like a million bucks.

We started with a small job, and that was smart.  Re-built pump house on top of our shallow well.  Super insulated it, good job for son and dad to get used to building together on.

On the ride home I felt like buying that property and now building on it was about the best thing I ever did.  I know my son feels great about it, and we are building great memories for him to have long after I'm gone.  

Thanks again guys, you're all just super.

Frank

glenn-k

We try real hard to not understand the word, "failure", Frank.

We simply have different degrees of success. :)

FrankInWI

yeh, I am learning to appreciate all the ways building on a slab can be a PITA.  
Not much choice though, it's a garage downstairs, rooms in upper (eventual pass through to the 1 1/2 and they'll be bedrooms.  
For now I plan on cheating and doing a little plumbing in there too.   The nice DARN cement guy goofed me up on my wonderfully crafted toilet waste line in the floor though.  And when a mistake is surrounded in contrete....oh boy.  Like PEG said "PITA"....and I don't mean the bread!