Ideal skylight location in VC loft?

Started by MikeT, September 18, 2007, 02:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Is there distance down from the peak on the VC loft that the skylights should go?  I purchased Velux skylights that are basically 22 1/2 x 48" so they fit between the rafters.  But I do not know an aesthetically appropriate placement for them.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
mt

glenn-k

Far enough down that they don't interfere with the ridge and maybe room for trim if you want it -- we just put sheetrock corners on the one we did inside.

These are my thoughts only and really don't mean anything. :)

My son didn't like the light in his eyes - said it kept him awake and covered it with a dark towel.

MountainDon

The skylights I've installed here were placed higher up the slope, as compared to lower.

One other thing you can do is to make the bottom end larger; like 2 ft x 6 ft, or more for a 2 ft x 4 ft skylight. Spreads thre light out more.  :)  Sorta like an upside down funnel.  :-/

I have one for a 2 ft x 4 ft s'light that is offset; one leg longer than the other for an opening about 2 ft x 8 ft.

MikeT

I was planning on flaring the top and bottom of the opening to increase the light.  I was thinking I would flare it out 45 degrees or so.   I just can't decide if a person standing in the loft should be able to only look at the sky or should  be able to look out and possibly see the ground.

m

jraabe

A higher skylight placement will flood more of the room with light. A skylight set low enough down the rafter to allow a person to walk into the opening and see below the horizon opens up a view portal that a higher skylight will not give you.

If you have a nice view from the loft I think I would choose the lower option.

Dustin

Consider also what side of the house this is on in relation to the sun. A north facing skylight will have more diffuse, indirect light than one facing south, with less heat. In the summer months, an unshaded south-facing skylight will bring in more direct sunlight and heat than a window. In a cold climate, a north-facing skylight gives almost five times more light than a north-facing window with almost the same amount of heat loss.