Getting initial estimate from subs

Started by BigMish, March 18, 2007, 04:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMish

I am just getting started on the design stage of a home I am going to largely build my self. However, I plan to sub out some of the work. My first need is to come up with a very reliable estimate of the costs. I'm going to price out the materials for the parts I am going to do my self and obtain estimates of labor and materials directly form the subs for those parts I won't.

My question is this: what is the best way to approach the subs and with what information and paperwork? I realistically won't break ground until Spring 08 so I can't really call what I'd be asking them for a "bid". That being said, I want them to treat it seriously rather than just giving me some low-ball number until I actually get the formal bid.

Any advise would be helpful. Thanks, Mischa

peg_688

Tell them the truth , we don't like to be lied to anymore than you do! They will need either the page / pages pertaining to thier part of the job. Some , most , will need to see the site , a excavator giving a bid would need to either know the local area very well , or would need to see the site to give a honest bid on site work. Same as a general contractor , site conditions IE:  steep lot , poor road access,  congested conditions , distance to utilities , etc could/ would  impact over all cost.

Be sure to tell each sub what materials / quality products you are spec,ing.  So a apples to apples estimate can be given. In other word don't have one guy bid the job with plywood sheathing , clear cedar siding , wood window , and another give a price based on OBS sheathing , hardi brd siding, and vinyl windows.  Like and kind , once you decide what you can afford.    At least start every one out on the same page , you can add or subtract / exchange type specific products as you tweak the estimates.

desdawg

Good answer PEG. I pre-site every job simply because what you see on paper doesn't always give you an accurate picture for excavating. I also make my Proposals good for 6 month's. Materials, fuel costs, requirements for septic systems, etc. can and do change and affect the costs for the work being performed. Last year the cost for installing a septic system was increased by $1000 just due to changes in the regulations. I guess the regulators needed to justify their existence on the public payroll.  ::)

glenn-k

You are making me feel like Captain Dunsel right now.  Remember him PEG?

Good answer, guys.  See what happens when I sleep in a bit --someone else does all the work. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Computer  In case you didn't remember.

glenn-k

Another thing to keep in mind is that while you are asking for your estimate and checking the contractor or sub out, he is also checking you out.  

I would say that I decide that there is no way in the world I would work for this potential client for approximately 25% of the jobs I look at, based on my initial seat of the pants feeling about them.  Unreasonable demands, unrealistic expectations or just a plain bad attitude will send me running the other way.

I will meet a customer halfway where possible but sometimes other contractors will underbid a job and I will not try to beat them.  They know the value of their work.

The problem with that from the owners standpoint is that the ultra-low bid is usually by the guy who goes broke in the middle of the job or just plain walks off and leaves it.

Amanda_931

One of the back-hoe artists here--nice guy, much in demand, usually cheaper than anyone else, does really good work--underbid a job for me so badly that there was no way he could do it--cost more to move his equipment than he was getting for the job.

So, he gave me a date, didn't show up.  Six or eight months later called and said he'd be there because he had a job across the road.  That was about four years ago.  

Sigh.