three coat plaster

Started by tc-vt, January 27, 2007, 05:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc-vt

Hello all,

Does anyone know of a good how-to (book or web) for three coat plastering?  The best I have found so far is the construction handbook on usg.com.  I'm thinking of trying to do my walls this way instead of sheetrock.

Thanks.

Tom

FrankInWI

Hey,  I'm a rookie, but platering strikes me as one of those skills that is gained by MUCH practice.  Drywall is for the rest of us, and good enough.   Good luck, but you may be wading into deep waters

glenn-k

I have this for plastering cob walls - out to at least be a few tips there that are usable.

Amanda_931

One of the old Alex Wade books had a longish section on three-coat gypsum plastering.  Don't remember which one, and I think my copy (of at least one) is up in storage.

The DVD Building With Awareness is good on the subject of plastering (actually, it's pretty durned nice, I'm the only one who mentioned hating the music--but it was composed for the project).  Earthen, lime and gypsum.  Principles are the same, but the materials handle differently.  They've got a companion book out now, by the way.  dirtcheapbuilder may rent the DVD.

http://www.buildingwithawareness.com/

Wade thought that by the time you had put on your first two coats you would be competent with the third.

Earthen and well-soaked, aged as much as possible, hydrated lime are both quite a bit more foregiving than gypsum.  Which sets up FAST.   Although that's good if it's going to freeze tomorrow night.  

Charmaine Taylor of dirtcheapbuilder.com has a lot of information on her sites.  Look for the free stuff.

I've done a tiny bit of concrete finishing, a fair amount of dry-wall mudding, and an earthen floor.  Planning on an earthen plaster inside, lime plaster outside but under the barn roof when the weather warms up for a week.  

But mine are tiny walls.  And planned to teach me more about the subjects.

tc-vt

Thanks for the information.  The dirtcheapbuilder site had quite a bit on it.

Tom