Outbldngs and house - appearance

Started by tc-vt, October 10, 2007, 09:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc-vt

Just curious what opinions are regarding design of outbuildings such as sheds, garages, etc. (small shed next to the house, in my case) and whether to make them look similar to the main house or different?  I'm deciding whether to use siding on my 8x8 off-grid power shed that matches the house or to use something different.  

Then I'll try to spend time thinking about more important things.

Tom

Preston

Hey Tom,

We're thinking of building a classic looking barn next to our home with same metal roof.  We're thinking about using the first floor of the barn as a garage/workshop and finishing the top floor as a studio with lots of natural lighting!
The secret to being boring is to say everything.  --Voltaire

MountainDon

I like to tie things together, same architectural style, same or complimentary materials, colors, etc. YMMV
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I don't necessarily have to have them match in color, but for whatever reason, I like a similar roof line on multiple outbuildings.  but that's just my preference... it is really whatever suits your needs and doesn't offend your eyes, because you're the one who'll have to live with it.  Our house now has a very steep pitched roof on the front, but the rear of the house was added later and has a very low pitch roof... it always looks somehow  incongruous to me... the front of the house is almost cute enough to look like some kind of retreat in the Alps, but with that weird backside sticking up behind it makes it look like a little house puffing itself up to try to look bigger, or like a skinny lady who has an enormous set of hips... it just looks weird to me.

desdawg

I like things painted to match. They don't have to be similar styles or roofs for me. The way I do things they seldom are. Here is my land sea container painted to match the house (manufactured home).
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

All I care about is how much equipment you can park near it.  Nice, desdawg. :)

I keep my house covered with dirt so to make it look nice I plant flowers and vegetables. :-/

Sorry - I just wanted to participate in this topic too. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuoteAll I care about is how much equipment you can park near it.  Nice, desdawg. :)

I keep my house covered with dirt so to make it look nice I plant flowers and vegetables. :-/

Sorry - I just wanted to participate in this topic too. :)

The RV garage is a outbuilding Glenn ;) Kinda a cool one as well.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Thanks PEG.  It is above ground isn't it-- and above -- and below ground too. :)  

It does match the siding I put on the part of the shop that sticks out,  I guess I'm style coordinated after all. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

Glenn,
As long as all of your dirt is the same color and you try to keep a uniformity in the green of the weeds that grow on it you should be just fine. Used lumber can vary in color depending on the species, age and years of exposure. That is why I paint all of my used lumber. I don't want some rusty nail hole contaminating my finish. I never spackle them cause used lumber needs to breathe. I try to maintain a good supply of worn out equipment parked around to create that industrial effect. In that picture we have a couple of water tanks, a sand hopper, sand screen, a worn out Michigan loader, an in good shape Cat 949 track loader, an old GMC dump truck and some various and sundry trailers. Oh yeah and the Massey grading tractor. You just feel good when you drive past that row. You know you did something, you can do something and you are going to do something. How cool is that?
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

paul s

my shed is  not match my house in roof angle bu i took some vinyl siding for a paint match and  it looks good  even though it is 200 feet from the house, getting a 3 car garge in th e future and  1 bay of that will be my shop but have to have a shed to hide my tractr shhhhhhhh  wife does not know it is coming yet

but is paid for and  the guy i gought it from is holding it for me

glenn kangiser

Maybe you can disguise it< Paul -- do something-- you must collect toys. :)

desdawg, that's a nice lineup no matter how you look at it. :)

PA-Builder

Glenn,

With respect to that little open area at the top/end of your shop roof,  is that where you sit with your machine gun ?    ;D

glenn-k

Ummm --- Uhh -- PA-Builder -- it's a sort of multipurpose area --- but then -- you should know that.   ;D

Dagnab black choppers. :-/ :)

Actually I wanted to sit there and watch lightning storms in the winter.  Guess I should finish it for that to happen.  It could be cold.  Does this make me crazy? :-?

Maybe I should add some steel plate. :-/ :)

MountainDon

Steel plate and a ground cable.  :)

[edit]inserted the S in steel   :-[[/edit]

glenn-k

Lost your S on that one, Don. :)

Yeah - I have the tin roof -- the ground could really help -- and the steel will also make mighty fine armor.  ;D

PA-Builder

Glenn,

Yea, the steel plate is probably a good idea.  Sand bags may be a little cheaper ! ! !    ;D

Remember, keep your eyes to the sky . . .     :o