Upper Peninsula pier and beam

Started by Cpd5899, October 15, 2014, 07:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpd5899

I'm looking to purchase land in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I was wondering if pier and beam was allowed and if there were size restrictions on the building.

John Raabe

UPDATE - pier and beam foundations

New code updates may require that a pier and beam or post and beam foundation be locally engineered to meet both soil conditions and potential loads such as high wind and earthquake. If you cannot find a local engineer for this work, we are recommending a stem wall concrete foundation as a stronger, more stable and a better long term value. Concrete foundations are well understood by inspectors and subcontractors and do not normally require engineering. Such a foundation plan is included in your plan set. Note, there may be local changes for footing sizes or reinforcing but these can be marked on the plan.

See also this post - http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=13810.0;topicseen
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Cpd5899

I was trying to stay on a cheaper DIY budget...  So after reading that, I'm assuming I now have to hire someone to give a "proper"  foundation???

MountainDon

Quote from: Cpd5899 on October 15, 2014, 07:51:53 PM
So after reading that, I'm assuming I now have to hire someone to give a "proper"  foundation???

Or use one of the "prescriptive" standard foundations that are illustrated as approved in the IRC (International Residential Code.

Of course it would not hurt to talk to a structural engineer and get some quick input from them. I would think a simple question and yes/no/maybe response about the suitability of pier and beam should not require a fee be paid.

A copy of the Michigan IRC is available online HERE. But it is the 2003 version and it seems they now use the 2009    The full IRC 2009 version is available HERE. Note that states may make changes to the full version.  You could also ask at the bldg dept that would have jurisdiction.

Foundations are listed in Chapter 4

Note, the IRC is a rule book, a cookbook of sorts, but without DIY step by step directions.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

You might look into the cost of having your foundation done by a subcontractor. Many owner-builders have more skills and tools for working with wood and can make their savings there.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Cpd5899

What about concrete block with a solid concrete footing? I know block is about 1/2 the price as solid concrete

MountainDon

Quote from: Cpd5899 on October 16, 2014, 11:46:30 AM
What about concrete block with a solid concrete footing?

That works. The full perimeter concrete footing provides the stable base for the structure.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Stem walls are not that hard... and quicker than piers. 

Lots and lots of guides on the internet and books.  Heck I can even do one.  If I can......

There is another reason alluded to here as well.  That is resale ability.  There is a structure up here that has been vacant for some time.  No bank or lending institution will go on it even with a huge down.  Reason seems to rest on the building is not resting on a permanent foundation.   There was a lady who was set to cash them out last I heard at a tremendous discount. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.