cabin door

Started by comanche, April 15, 2013, 07:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comanche

I am ready to replace the ugly front door we have been using in our cabin. I have only built one door, for our chicken coop, and it doesn't work very well. Can anyone point out some resources on how to build one. I'm sure it's fairly straightforward, but I always try to study as much as possible before I take the exam.

Also, for those that have made their own, do you recommend getting a standard door jamb and mounting the door on that, or would it be just as well to make my own door jamb to keep with the cabin/homemade look?

Also, looking at adding a small window, thoughts on that?

Any pictures would be appreciated.
Homer, AK

Don_P

What do you want? A frame and panel look, plank and batten?
Tools, do you have a router and saw?, tablesaw, planer, ect?
After making a door the jamb is easy. I would make it stock rough frame dimension.

With a Z batten door extend the battens from the hinge side, up and away to the strike side... hold the planks up with bracing in compression rather than hanging them off the braces. I've done frame and panel look doors with frame pieces glued to a plywood panel. From there a true frame and panel door takes a bit of tooling but a simple one can be done with a router and saws.

I've got a few diagrams of the construction of cathedral doors, I stare and admire from time to time but have never gotten the round tuits for one of those. They just used simple hand tools and lots of patience.

CjAl

The last door i built had 6'' steel c channel for the frame and 1/4'' plate sandwiched between two 3/4'' wood panels.

Ya, i dont like unwanted '' door knockers''

Might be a little overkill for you though, and you need a forklift to place it. Lol

comanche

Don,

Plank and batten is pretty much what I am looking for- thanks for the specifics, googling that definitely turned up more than "how to make a door" d*

I have a table saw, router & a hand planer.

What exactly do you mean by "hold the planks up with bracing in compression rather than hanging them off the braces."?

Do you recommend 3/4" plywood with 1x planks on both sides?

Thanks

Cjal- that sounds like a helluva door!
Homer, AK

Gary O

Comanche

I am rather proud of the simple door I built for our cabin.
It's just 2x2s glued and skrewed, with 1x cross members for stability.
A bit heavy though, so I made it into double doors.
And used stout hinges.
Quite happy with it.

The jamb is simple too.
Just a strip of wood to stop it, along with weather stripping.

A few pics;

I'm no builder by any means, but I do like to have fun with wood.
I'll pop in a bit later if you have any questions.
Right now I'm testing out the heel side up principle in consideration of the pouring of pee out of a boot theory. (In other words, if I can do it, well.....anybody can)

cheers
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

comanche

I am curious how you open it from the outside. It looks like the latch is on the inside, but only handles on the outside- ??. Dutch doors look great- did you add any sort or weather stripping to keep the breeze out? I have been kicking around doing doors like that, but didn't want to lose too much heat.
Homer, AK

CjAl

Quote from: comanche on April 16, 2013, 10:22:45 AM

Cjal- that sounds like a helluva door!

Ammo reloading shed/ gun shed

Gary O

Quote from: comanche on April 16, 2013, 02:18:17 PM
I am curious how you open it from the outside. It looks like the latch is on the inside, but only handles on the outside- ??. Dutch doors look great- did you add any sort or weather stripping to keep the breeze out? I have been kicking around doing doors like that, but didn't want to lose too much heat.
Yes, weather stripping is a must.

It opens in, so the 'handles' are for pulling the door shut.

Notice the wood strip that has no hinges, on the inside pic.
Its fastened to the upper door, so when pulling the latch, just the upper door opens.
A magnet holds the lower door shut.

I've got a couple better ideas rolling around in my head, but that'd be progress.
First attempts beget improvements.
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

comanche

I've seen some designs for doors that include 3/4" plywood with t&g on both sides. I have also seen the same designs for the t&g look but with 1 1/2" rigid board in between. Any thoughts out there on what would be better suited as a door? Also, if anyone else has pictures or links that would be greatly appreciated.
Homer, AK

CjAl

If your in alaska i would definatly want insulationin the middle. Build a frame around a sheet of insulation panel about 1.5'' wide and attach wood to each side to the frame. Thats how i would build it anyways.

Alaska_Cub

I see you are in Homer.  I have a cabin about 70 miles north of Anchorage, near Lake Creek.  It is fly in only, so I built the door on site.  It is 2x6 tongue and groove pine, with a Z brace.  I made it open out, so it's at least a little more difficult for a bear to push in.  It came out looking very nice.  I used black iron gate hinges.  Took me a few hours to build it.

By the way, I'm a new member, and this is a great site.

kenhill

I snowmachine up near Bentalit Lodge for the Idarod.

Alaska_Cub

We are about 5 miles up Lake Creek from the lodge.