wet rustic cedar channel siding

Started by astidham, January 27, 2012, 12:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

I bought some 8" rustic cedar channel siding today, and when I got home and opened it (5hrs round trip) it seemed like it had been out in the rain for a long time.
the cedar was covered in the wrap the mill put on it, but it didn't seem to help.
I want to install this inside the house, does it need to fully dry out first?
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

Is it noticeably wet? If so I wonder if it would dry without warping, cupping or whatever? 

I would think that like may wood articles for the interior it should be acclimatized to the indoor moisture level.  No mold?  Discolored? 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Quote from: MountainDon on January 27, 2012, 12:44:47 AM
Is it noticeably wet? If so I wonder if it would dry without warping, cupping or whatever? 

I would think that like may wood articles for the interior it should be acclimatized to the indoor moisture level.  No mold?  Discolored?
I haven't broke the bundle yet, but i pulled 3 pieces out, one in the middle looked and felt like it had been under water and it was a very dark cedar color.
this cedar is aromatic red cedar.
another piece  had some mold on it, but it was a white mold.
— Henry Ford

DirtyLittleSecret

Funny, Ive got 200 panels acclimatizing at the cabin right now!  With the prices of T&G and the want of more rustic finish it only seemed appropriate. 
I too had some "Wet" boards, but let them dry out and havent noticed any warping or splitting.  Biggest thing for me is deciding whether to install a vapor barrier or not (still undecided).
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

Don_P

I'm pretty sure you're talking about western red rather than aromatic (juniperus virginiana), They both have a cedar smell. I've gotten western red soaking wet as often as not. It dries rapidly and doesn't move much. For interior I'd let it dry first.

astidham

— Henry Ford