Little house under $5k? Is this even possible - do you have any examples?

Started by thebunny, November 17, 2011, 06:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebunny

Hello all,

Brand new member.

I've looked as many of the owner built pages here and they're just gorgeous! But I'm afraid many are probably over my budget - and I'm wondering if you could point me to the least costly of the projects?

Details:
My health went bad. Currently no income. In about a year, I may have a tiny income and a small lump of cash to use to secure my first house. I'm a small woman and I don't foresee being able to do heavy work (also due to health). But I can do small stuff. My b/f is good at some building related work - but I don't want to wear him out building my tiny house.

Location: probably near the bootheel of Missouri. Low costs for everything. Taxes next to nothing. No hassles with building codes, etc. Lot in country on offer for $2k. Water is offered by community. Electric easy to get hooked up. Septic could be done for less than $1500 I am hoping (we know the guy who arranges this sort of work - also seller of the lot - but that number is a total blind guess on my part.)

I'm projecting that I might have $5,000 for the actual building. But spending less would be nice, if possible. Is this a crazy idea? I'm not opposed to recycling from old buildings. My b/f's neighbor secured a lot of cypress wood from an old barn. They recently were offered a metal roof from a house. I'm open to cheap / free stuff if it is useful. Where do I draw the line? Hoping not to get wood from say the inside of a chicken operation, please. I guess you can call me fussy on that.  ::)

I think something at least 275 sq feet would be workable. I like to cook - so kitchen space is useful to me. I need a bath-tub - but am otherwise don't have a lot of requirements. The kitchen could be modest - I'm thinking about small appliances - like a large toaster oven, one of those hot plate with 2 burners, small frig. Have researched tiny washing machines that are semi-portable - that will be fine and a small spin dryer.

I've seen pics of studio apartments and motorhomes that make use of small spaces well - and usually the best have incorporated storage space in create ways.

So could you point me to any little houses members have built that could be repeatable at my low price point?

Do you have any other suggestions for me?

I'm thinking if more money comes later, a front and back screen porch could really add to living space, too.

Oh - and lastly - while I don't mind a loft for storage, I don't want to have to crawl up a ladder every day. Too hard on me on bad health days. I wouldn't mind making some creative use of the living area so that the bedroom can double as living room somehow.

Hope I got all the important info out. Looking forward to your ideas!

MWAndrus

One option that could save you some money on septic is a sawdust toilet. Read the Humanure Handbook for details. Solid waste goes into a five gallon bucket and then out to the compost pile. Water from the sinks and shower is then run into a grey water system. This could save you quite a bit.

MartyM

I think it is possible to build a small but comfortable house for under 5k using free and recycled materials..

Unfortunately in my experience the less I spend on materials the more work and time it takes to make things come together.    d*  I know some high school shop classes will build small structures for nothing but the cost of materials but I have never heard of them using recycled materials.

Keep in mind the key to making it happen is REALLY wanting it. If you can make that choice and stick to it you can do it. Be ready for set backs and complications but be patient and persistent and make it happen. :)

thebunny

Thank you both for taking the time to try to help me out.

MartyM, I'm glad you think there is a possibility. That's hope. I can see what you mean about less cost on the materials would mean there'd be more time and effort needed to make those pieces work out. That seems fair. 

Well, I have the want part down. I'll have to see how all the rest adds up.  :D

Squirl

It is probably possible.  It usually requires time and lots of hard work.

The first thing is your local library will probably be your best friend.  A lot of knowledge is used in building.  Knowledge is money.  Many expenses in paying people is the know how.  Books help a lot in this area.  With as great as the internet is, it is not as concise and organized as you can find in a book.  There is a lot of crap on the internet too that a publisher or editor would never print for fear of liability.

I also assume you are not as concerned with modern energy codes.  It is usually money now or money later in this department.  But you do what you can.  Taking your time with good sealing practices will help cut down on these costs later.

2x4s and OSB are cheap.  I found that most things free or used can cost more in gas to pick them up than driving to the local big box store and buying them.  They are usually one or two pieces of an under $10 item, such as plywood, cut up 2x4s, or drywall.  All are just a waste of gas.

People seem to renovate their bathrooms and kitchens all the time for this simple sake of style.  If you are unconcerned with the style, you can get many of these fixtures for cheap or free.

Since you are building from scratch windows can be usually had much cheaper than retail.  If you are willing to mix and match and are unconcerned with them, you can get many that were ordered at the wrong size and someone is now stuck with.  If you aren't going with passive solar design, the less the amount of windows the greater efficiency.

If heavy lifting is out, simple tin roofing is in.  It is relatively light and not that difficult to work with.  Just take your time and seal each screw and don't over tighten and strip them.  For some reason, asphalt shingles have become a lot more expensive over the past few years and metal roofing is probably cheaper and definitely lighter.  The only problem with this is if your are doing rainwater catchment.

That leads me to the fixed costs.  Usually a well, septic, and electric, and sometimes heat are fixed costs not entirely dependent on size.  What are your expectations on these?

bayview

Years ago . . .   

We had a neighbor that lived in a storage shed that he got for free.   He insulated it, installed a house door and a couple of windows.   He put in used shelving and a plywood countertop for a kitchen.   A bed, table and a couple of chairs he had scrounged.   

He would get a bucket of water from our hose each day for food preparation, cleaning and bathing.   A couple of wash pans for cleaning dishes and personal hygiene.   With an outhouse on the back of his property.   He had an "outdoor" kitchen when weather permitted.   Otherwise, he used a camping stove.   Candles and a "Coleman" lantern for light.

A well kept, gentle, educated man that would go to "work" each day picking up aluminum cans and bottles.   And various "treasures" that he could sell.   Getting odd jobs when necessary. . .    Raking leaves, mowing lawns, washing cars . . .

During the winter months he would hitchhike to a southern state.   I assume living the same way.   I know he had visited California, Arizona, Texas and Florida.

I guess the point is . . .    It depends on how you want to live.   Our neighbor seemed to live comfortably, could come and go as he pleased, vacationed each year.   Would "work" when necessary.   Bills were kept at the very minimum.   

No electric, water, sewer, trash pickup . . .   

//
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

considerations

"Have researched tiny washing machines that are semi-portable - that will be fine and a small spin dryer."

I'm using one now, a Haier, the smallest I believe they make.  I've used it hard for almost a year now, and it is holding up well, so far.  I thought I would need a spin dryer as well, but have found that I do not.  I just have a LARGE hardwood rack on which to hang the clean clothes in the winter, and an outdoor clothes line in the summer.  It works just fine, supplemented with occasional ironing. Rugs and large quilts or bedspreads still have to be taken to a laundry. This is a one person household.

On using combined living space, a daybed or folding futon couch/bed could double the use of your living/bedroom.  Some daybeds also have trundle beds underneath that could roll out at night.

Some bunk bed set-ups have a couch as the lower unit.

It may be that to get started, acquisition of the property and a self contained used travel trailer would get you out on the property with decent shelter and facilities until you can manage the building of something more permanent.  Used travel trailers can often be had for very little, sometimes even free if one has the patience to shop for a while.  I lived in one for literally years while evolving into this land and cabin.  It was 192 sq ft, and while toward the end I was so eager to get out of it that I felt my eyes were bugging out, it provided exactly what I needed.

thebunny

Just edited my title - as I realized it said "under $5" and I meant it to say "under $5k"  I'm sorry!

Considerations  Yes, that is exactly the brand I want - Haier. I'm so glad to hear your review of it. That matches the reviews I've read. Some people swear they clean better than the big machines even. Glad too to hear a spin dryer might not be necessary. I have a thought for you on those large quilts etc. Have you seen those hand held "agitators"? I'm not sure of their actual name - but they're similar looking to a plunger, but have holes to allow you manually work it up and down in a container with water and clothes. My plan is to try one of those in the bathtub (or any large container I suppose) with those larger washable items. Of course, there is no way to spin dry - but .. might save a little money and time from driving to a laundry facility? (Just don't do that with wool, or wool batting filled quilts - as you'll turn it to felt. Wool = soak in mild soapy water, rinse a few times and squeeze out the water from wool - and you'll be fine. I spin wool a little and crochet/knit - love wool) Sorry if this is off topic.

Daybed, futons, etc - all things I'm going to consider. Thanks. I once saw a nifty hidden bed on a tv crafting show. The woman had an armoirre (sp?) that hid the bed. The bed folded down, sort of like a murphy bed I suppose. But she did something else - and I can't quite recall how - but she had the ability to have a hard surface like a table top come down instead of, or on top of, the bed so she could use the room for crafting etc, or a spare bedroom for guests, or hide both bed and table and use the room for something else. I like that idea. Too bad I can't remember exactly how it was done.

You've hit on a topic I've been struggling to figure out - the travel trailer. Thank you. I'm so relieved to hear of someone who's done it. I too think I'd be bug eyed by the end - but I'd do it happily to have my own "home" :-)  I have to study up on how to keep the water supply clean, etc. My b/f would allow me to keep it on his property, which has water hookups. I wonder if I could use his water supply directly, or do I have to fill the tanks? The tanks strike me as a problem waiting to happen re: contamination and if I could avoid using them I'd be happier. Also it would allow me to use enough water for a bath. Can water by pass the tanks if the pressure is toned down?

Thank you so much for the good thoughts.

Bayview - your gentleman neighbor sounds like he had it worked out to a T. He is probably a far sturdier and tougher soul than I. It is a good example of making things work and inspirational to hear. Thanks.

Squirl - thanks for the good tips. About the books - I think you're spot on. There was one book I got from the library about small houses - but I'm drawing a blank on the author's name right now. He showed a little house he built in the woods as a vacation home in the 70's - and back then it cost about $1200, I think? Cute as a bug. Wonder what it would cost now though. (No plans in the book - just ideas) I'll look for more.

Modern codes - well, I would like to live in this place safely for a lot of years and make sure it is put together with safety in mind. My dad was a carpenter in the old days - and he always told me that modern houses were sealed up too tight - that they were making people sick and then they'd have to pay more money to put in something as an air exchange system. I think I need to know  more about this subject, for sure. I don't want to waste energy but I don't want to make a toxic building either.  :-\

Well made points on the savings and losses with recycling materials. Duly noted. Thanks.

I mentioned to my b/f that you noted metal roofs - and he had to smile because that is exactly what he has been telling me all along. He's put them on before - and is good with that sort of thing. Even his elderly father can handle that. Good point. :)   

My fault for not explaining better - sorry - but heavy lifting is really only out for me personally. My b/f can do a lot of work, but I am trying very hard not to kill him with back breaking labor - because I am rather fond of him.  ;D

QuoteThat leads me to the fixed costs.  Usually a well, septic, and electric, and sometimes heat are fixed costs not entirely dependent on size.  What are your expectations on these?

Water is provided via artisian well belonging to the community. Excellent water. No need for my own well. Thankfully.

Septic to be installed by, or at the direction of, the person who now owns the property. His work is connected with this sort of thing and it can be done properly at his direction. I'm relieved about that. The area perks (percs?) really well - so it won't be difficult. The cost is the only thing I'm not sure of. A number like $1500 was thrown out - but I'm not sure of it yet. I was told it might be less - but I don't want to bank on that.

Electric is available and hook up likely no charge due to friendly connections. :-) The wiring in the house, if I keep it really simple (*like the bath being right next to the kitchen) can likely be done by my b/f. And he has the luxury of knowing a friend who has even more experience - so I feel pretty good about this. (B/F worked on planes for a living all his life - I can trust him with wiring - even though it is different.)

Heat - I'm thinking since it is small, I'll go electric. Simplicity, really and low fee for installation. My b/f uses wood stoves and gas - but I'm not as confident with using those myself. Plus, he's sort of a big, burly guy cutting his own wood - and I just don't see me getting out there like that.  :)  Seriously, I'm not keen on the smoke - hard for me to breathe sometimes.  Later - I'd REALLY like to see about adding some sort of solar, or maybe wind generated power. I don't have grand hopes of running everything, but just enough to run a few simple things if the power goes out, etc.

Did I miss anything? Sorry, I am long winded.  ::)

*EDIT: When I wrote about keeping the wiring simple - my brain was thinking about keeping the plumbing simple - hence my mention of keeping the bath back to back with the kitchen. Doh! Sorry.

Texas Tornado

thebunny

Quote from: Texas Tornado on November 18, 2011, 11:51:40 PM
Tiny Houses is what you are thinking  8) I Love them!!!!!

Bingo! Tiny Book of Tiny Houses by
Lester R. Walker. Thank you! Wish I owned it.

MikeC

possible examples:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/house-tours/four-people-and-a-dog-living-in-180-square-feet-home-away-from-home-tour-123518

to:
http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com/

washer/dryer - we used a stackable unit, don't recall the brand but it worked great, took very little space but was 3/4 capacity comparable to full size units

stove - we like to eat - had an apartment size 4 burner, the "fischer price" model - workable but you could really only use 2 burners at the same time due to size constaints. not a place to skimp if you cook, IMO.

the used travel trailer certainly has appeal, instant moveable shelter.  have occasionally considered a old airstream or such placed on a barge - instant houseboat!

trish2

Suggestion:  Take a look at a floor plan from Cool Plans.  Type chp-41762 into a search engine like google.  That will bring up a 14 x 18 foot floor plan (Actually, I think they added wrong and the structure is closer to 14.x20, but close enough)  If you install kitchen counters along the top of the plan and along the bathroom wall, it might work for you.  Small bedroom, bath, kitchen and living area in a compact plan.  You'll need to figure out where to put a closet or two, but it's not a bad starting plan.

Squirl

The first book I would peruse would be an illustrated book on framing.  It is the basic starting point that I'm surprised how many people miss.

I wouldn't do that simple solar homesteading.  First that guy is a jerk.  He has come on this board a few times and spam advertises his ebook.  He has been banned more than once, and the administrators here rarely ban anyone.  They even put up with me.  His design is also unsafe and wouldn't conform building codes.

I understand the heavy lifting point.  I don't much like it either.  I prefer the brains over brawn approach myself.

A metal roof would probably affect your design a little.  Most recommend an at least 3 in 12 pitch without special installation. 

$1500 is a good price on septic.  I could barely get the materials for that cost.

considerations

"Modern codes - well, I would like to live in this place safely for a lot of years and make sure it is put together with safety in mind."

One thing to really look for in your local codes is a minimum square footage that qualifies as a residence. A "tiny house" could be smaller than that, then there is no way to comply with the code.  I think that is why most of those really tiny houses are built as trailers.