Anyone order the materials list 1st before the plans?

Started by RoxyRocks, September 22, 2011, 06:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoxyRocks

Well I think it's finally going to happen after dreaming and researching for a few years!!! We think we may have found some property :) We keep coming back and looking at the Johns plans because they seem to be the most set up for someone who really wants to build their own home not just direct. My husband likes A frames but we are scared of wasted space and have heard they can be hard to build. The 2 story universal cottage has always been my favorite and quickly is becoming his when he realized how much could be done.
Today we were thinking of ordering the materials list 1st and starting to price things. Has anyone else done this or do must just order the plans and materials list all at once? 

RoxyRocks

UK4X4

I would do the plans first - mainly because depending if you want to change anything / code area- snow load changes etc

you may find in the end the standard list is not apropiate to your build

Most yards can and will work off the plans and give you a materials list with the quote.

There's also a thread on costs where you can get some rough ideas- there are many variables too

3 miles outside of town V's 8500ft up a mountain with the nearest town 2 hrs away

these things change costs hugely.

For example

People have posted up the ground work and foundation costs here- I spent more than that just clearing the land . with not inch dug out or built.

Search the threads for a similar cabin to what you want to build- most have costs or if not PM the the person who built it
- people here are very friendly