ID Protection

Started by peternap, May 09, 2011, 04:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I don't have many credit cards. My wife and I have AmEx and use them often for the rewards. She has a Visa Check Card also.
I don't have any credit other than that. I haven't bought anything on credit for years and don't plan to....so from that point of view, I expect my credit score is pretty low.

ID theft does worry me a little though and I got an offer from AmEx today for ID theft Protection.

It's $16.00 a month and something like a million dollars protection plus monthly monitoring, Etc.

Any thoughts on whether this is worth it?
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

You can get a freeze placed on your credit file at the big three, so if anyone tried to apply for credit that would stop the process. I think it has to be re-newed each year.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on May 09, 2011, 05:51:45 PM
You can get a freeze placed on your credit file at the big three, so if anyone tried to apply for credit that would stop the process. I think it has to be re-newed each year.

Thanks Don!
Seems like that beats paying $16.00 a month.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

I thought that Freeze was only allowed for certain State's and their residents.....

peternap

I think most states have adopted it now. Virginia has.