Does drywall help insulate?

Started by Gingerbreadman, January 28, 2011, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gingerbreadman

From an insulation point of view, is there much advantage in using drywall rather than installing paneling sheets directly to studs?

MountainDon

Not from the point of view of insulation.  But sheetrock with proper taping can help seal a wall against air movement. Of course the real air tightness should be accomplished with the exterior weather resistant barrier.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Shawn B

I've been in homes that only had T1-11 siding or similar, no OSB or plywood under-sheeting and they always felt cooler and drafty to me. If one was to install drywall and tape and mud it like normal then install paneling or T&G over that it should cut down on drafts, as Don suggests, and it might just add some intrinsic R value to the structure.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

waggin

Quote from: Shawn B on January 28, 2011, 03:00:18 PM
I've been in homes that only had T1-11 siding or similar, no OSB or plywood under-sheeting and they always felt cooler and drafty to me. If one was to install drywall and tape and mud it like normal then install paneling or T&G over that it should cut down on drafts, as Don suggests, and it might just add some intrinsic R value to the structure.

If I can piggyback a question onto the above, are there any moisture/condensation issues with adding paneling or tongue and groove boards onto ceiling sheetrock? 
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)