staircase details

Started by dug, November 02, 2010, 07:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

I finished my loft stair stringers and was all fired up to install them so I could walk up to my loft instead of climbing but when I got to thinking about how to finish the wall next to the stairs I had to stop to do some pondering.

These are not mine, I borrowed this image from another thread here, but this is the same situation I would have-

It would seem difficult at best to install any sort of wall covering above (next to) the steps. To make matters worse, I figured on procrastinating until the last possible moment making a decision whether I want sheet rock or wood paneling of some sort in that area.

So I am wondering if it would make any sense to cover that wall first, then nail the stringer to the wall covering.  ???  If I use drywall though, I would still have to mud and paint around all those treads. If I install the stairs first, as in the example above, it seems I would have to add a lot of blocking to accommodate any wall material, as well as lot's of cutting around the steps.

Just trying to figure the most logical course of action.

Redoverfarm

Dug generally a "stand out" is afixed to the wall studs and then the stairs stringers are affixed to that.  If you use a 2X that will allow for the drywall thickness and a piece of 3/4" trim board.  Then your treads butt up against it.  If you are going w/drywall then you can use a piece of 3/4 stock which will allow the drywall to slip down beside the stairs.  The filler or stand out is set to intersect where the tread and riser come together.

It's hard to descrobe but I did find a couple pictures in this to show  http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60182 

Don_P

Slow fingers, what John said  :)

Hold the stringer up against the wall in position. Scribe the underside where it crosses the wall studs. Scribe the bottom edge od the stringer on a 2x4, nail the 2x4 to the wall first then nail the first stringer to the 2x4. This spaces it 1-1/2" off the wall. Attach the temporary treads to the edge of stringer, spaced 1-1/2" from studs. Block that area of the wall anyway, you'll not regret it. Install wall finish, finish wall skirt, finish treads and risers.

dug

Perfect! Thanks Red and Don.

I was thinking about something along those lines but wasn't sure.

Don_P

I cleaned up my post above to make the process a bit more logical, I hope.

When I build the rough stairs I'll often set them up with permanent plywood treads and risers that are glued and nailed to the stringers. The finish treads and risers are then glued and screwed from the backside through the plywood.  If you go that route don't forget to allow for that extra height and depth. I lay out from the finish surfaces and then work back to the stringer cuts.

dug

QuoteI cleaned up my post above to make the process a bit more logical, I hope

Thanks, I think I'm getting it.... most of it anyway.

I know all this must be terribly simple once you have gone through the whole process a time or two, but for me it is sometimes hard to visualize what will happen 2, or 3 steps down the line, especially when finish work is involved. I guess I work best in 2 dimensions at a time.

I think I am going to use drywall in this area but I may change my mind. If I use that 2 by spacer at the bottom of the stringer it would seem I could use whatever wall finish I want, assuming I block appropriately. Treads and risers would then butt up against either drywall or skirting? Am I understanding that correctly?

I found this article that I thought did a pretty good job showing how to cut and install stringers-

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/framing-staircase.aspx

I wish I would have read it be before I cut my stringers because it included a couple of tips that seemed painfully obvious in hindsight. Live and learn!  d*

Redoverfarm

Glad you grasped the concept.  It is all a learning process unless you do it everyday.  I still learn everyday.

nathan.principe

dug, Im glad you asked that question bc Ive been thinking about it for my place too!  I was going to hold off on installing the stairs till I could sheath the interior walls, but this makes a lot more sense to me  ;D