Water Levels Revisited

Started by frazoo, September 14, 2010, 12:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frazoo

I read here somewhere some time ago about using water levels.  One example used here had the flixible tubing and a bucket.  In talking to an old blocklayer last week, he said they used to use just clear flexible tubing with both ends attached to a short piece of furring strip (from 2 to 3 feet long).  He said you would keep the ends of the tubing capped to keep the water in while not in use stored behind the truck seat and then when you were in place, remove one or both end caps on the tubing to allow the atmospheric pressure to equalize at both ends, giving you a level reading.
I don't know this guy, he might be telling me straight, or pulling my leg.

1.  would this work?
2.  is it as good or better than the bucket method, or same results just different design?

thanks, frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

MountainDon

Yes it works. Easier to see if you use some dye or colorant in the water. Maybe concord grape juice.  :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dug

I have not used the bucket method so I am unsure what, if any advantages it may have. I have used the plain old tube method and I can say that it is very accurate and easy, just make sure to wait a minute after you move it to let it settle.

astidham

If your water level clear tubing gets cloudy, you can run 1 cup of vinegar through it a few times! it will clean it up
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

That's a good tip!     

Does it help with grape juice stain? Or is clorox best for that?  d*
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

TheWire

Also,  make sure there are no bubbles in the hose.  That can significantly affect the accuracy of a water level.

frazoo

Thanks Guys!

MD, I guess a nice red wine would have the coloring of the fruit AND the acidic quality of vinegar. ;D  (Of course I would NEVER, EVER think about drinking the leftovers) ::)

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

325ABN

I made one the other week and it works great.

HOWEVER

I went and spent the $200 on a RC laser and its much much much more efficent for one guy working alone.

The water level is dead on accurate. ??? d*

Mrdecatur217

wow now thats a house,. you are doing a great job,. i guess being as smart as natalie payed off

UK4X4

Potassium permanganate makes a nice purple color and will not go off or grow mold, just disolve the crystals and your done, usually available at the chemist

frazoo

Dang, I should have thought of the KmNo4, I use it everyday!  Very pretty color, but heck to get off the skin.  Thanks UK

Made the water level today will be going to site tomorrow to test and use.  Hope to have some progress pics posted soon.

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer