Number of exterior doors required?

Started by Charcoals, August 10, 2010, 09:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charcoals

Is there a general formula as to how many exterior doors are required in a home, based on its square footage (on the main floor)?  I realize this might vary by code/region, but surely there is some general rule, no? 

I'm trying to minimize the number of doors on the 20X34 universal cottage to no more than two, perhaps just one as in the 1.5-story 20X30 plan.   

Thanks.

Don_P

One.
A basement with habitable space and each sleeping room shall have a means of escape to the exterior through an apprtoved opening.

MountainDon

Quote from: Don_P on August 11, 2010, 06:02:18 AM
......... means of escape to the exterior through an apprtoved opening.

= having a sq footage minimum of 5.7 sq ft, min height = 24", min width = 20" (for emergency use. Also it's not stated but makes sense to make allowance for something to use to reach ground level safely... rope ladder, whatever. Though I suppose escaping from a second floor fire by jumping to the ground and breaking a leg would be better than being burned in a room with an inadequate emergency exit.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Beat it into every family member's head, hang and drop do not jump, you just got 6 or 7' closer to the ground and are oriented better. Look under those windows and keep the landing zone friendly. Notice min width x min height does not = the min area, you cannot be minimum each way.

considerations

I'm kind of an exterior door freak, I guess.  I have 3 downstairs and one in the loft.  In a 14 x 24....hmmm never really considered that it might be considered "a lot".