Fake lintel beam

Started by dug, July 02, 2010, 08:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

I am trying to decide how to trim out my windows. The walls will be stuccoed and my friend recommends no trim at all, no wood to rot or paint.

Tempting, but I would like a little more detail around them. I will have some leftover pieces of rough sawn 4 by 8 lumber that I bought for my porch and beams.
I was thinking of possibly using them to create a faux lintel beam above the windows, sort of mimicking an adobe structure.

Would flashing (4 in. by whatever) under the felt paper and over the "beam" be the right way to do it?

Thoughts and criticisms welcome. Still trying to decide if I would like the look.

PEG688

Yes.  You more than likely have to have custom metal bent , I'd rip a bevel say  5 to 7 degrees on the top to promote positive drainage.

I'd also do a mock-up with say a 2" thick piece , having 3 1/2" or 4" IF your stock is a full 4" net size , might be a bit much sticking out.

You'll also be Vycoring your windows right?   Use the 10" wide stuff over the head flange on the window , apply your "headed" over that , metal flashing on top of the wood "header", then Typar / Felt/ or other building wrap over the head flashing metal and Bob's yer uncle.

Good luck, PEG.   

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

There's lots of those plain stucco right up to the window homes around here. They do look rather plain and dull.

I don't know the name, if there is one, but many stucco homes will have a raised trim piece all around the windows and have it papered and stuccoed over. That changes the appearance from a flat wall to something like having a frame around the opening, but without the painting required for wood. Often the builders use foam strips for the material.

Google 'stucco trim around windows' and view 'images'
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dug

Thanks Peg, great info!

It is nice to know how you should attend to those details, rather than just guess. It's really bad when you guess and find out later how easy it would have been to do it right! d*

dug

Thank you Don, I will check that out. All options open at this point.