My poor wife...

Started by NM_Shooter, June 17, 2010, 09:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

She is only really afraid of three things... drowning, roller coasters, and large animals (yes, In a flash of epic brilliance, I once booked us on a "swim with the dolphins" adventure). 

The thing I bought yesterday is not quite as bad as the dolphin adventure.  Maybe. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

StinkerBell

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Dang, Frank, what have you done this time?.... hmm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

OK... well, two days in and I am having buyer's remorse and am somewhat embarassed.  I need this thing like I need a hole in the head.  But it was such a great deal! And I will use it.  And a buddy split the cost with me.  Using it one time (with or without my wife) will pay for it in terms of deferred rental cost. 

Yeah.

I'm gathering up the courage to post a picture. 

ChuckinVa

I'm thinking Elephant or Mule at this point.
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

glenn kangiser

Preparing for the reversion back to Mexico, I think it is a burro.....

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Okay.  Here it is!  Unbelievably, it is even more ugly up close.  But it was only $300.  How could I pass this up?

MountainDon

Hew Haw!! Taos Box lookout!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

:D

That boat does have some experience with the Taos Box.  My plans are to make an oar frame for it, and use it for rafting on the Rio Grande from TJ bridge (by Pilar) down through the Racecourse.  I also want to make a casting platform for up front to use as a fly fishing boat on the Rio Grande between Creede and Southfork. 

I'm not sure I am brave enough to do the box, although I would really like to fish some of the sections there as they don't get much pressure due to the canyon.

For my two kids and me, it is bigger than we can comfortably paddle, so I'll need the oars.  But I can also easily put up to 8 folks in this thing for a paddle trip!

The only thing that would make this worse for my wife is if I were to invite the Albuquerque Rottweiler club along.

-f-

glenn kangiser

I'd stick an outboard on it. :)

Sassy

Beauty...  Rafting is a lot of fun   :)  I've been a dozen times on the Kings River in CA...  but I think I've had my fill of it   :D

I don't know if I'd like to be the person in charge of the boat though, through the rapids I'd probably capsize it for sure   d*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Native_NM

Add a small transom and a trolling motor and you will own Fenton!!
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

NM_Shooter

It came with a removable transom! 

Yeah... I can be the menace of Fenton lake with that thing. 

I still need to buy pumps for it and a repair kit.  It is not a heavy rubberized model, so I'm expecting leaks.  Oddly the boat is very old and had very few patches.  Deflated it rolls up into a bundle that is 2' in diameter and 3' long, only weighs about 60 lbs. 

ChuckinVa

Sweet ! Even better than a mule! ;D
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

larryp7639

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

NM_Shooter

I can't begin to express how ugly this raft is.  If this raft were a member of the opposite sex, and you were single, you would allow the human species to die off rather than mate.  If this raft flies off the top of our car, you would be too embarrassed to turn around to pick it up, in case there were prison road crew workers watching. 

My dog is afraid of this raft.

I looked at what an electrical raft pump costs, and it was $120.  No way am I spending that on this.  I went to walmart and bought a $20 120VAC Coleman pump and it had it inflated in less than 10 minutes.  Coleman has a big manual pump I am going to buy for about $10.  I'm ordering patch supplies tomorrow.  That is the one thing I won't buy cheap... I will get good patch stuff for us as I am sure I will need them.

Did I mention that it appears a tom cat has used this raft as a litter box?

I've spent some time washing the boat out and it is much better now.  I found one small leak in the bow, and some of the seams near the floor on the outside are worn.  I am going to reinforce those.  I'm filling it with water and oxy clean to neutralize most of the odor.

I suspect that the oars I eventually buy will be worth more than this boat. 

Yeah, this is ugly.  I am tempted to just buy multi-colored patches and make it even worse, rather than get patches that match and have someone mistakenly think that we have some sort of pride in this thing. 

My wife is delighted.  Sometimes she acts upset to show how excited she is.

This raft is sort of like my buddy's old FJ55 that does not run.  It is ugly and he loves it.  The big difference is that I believe that his FJ will hold value.  His FJ probably floats better too.

StinkerBell

glenn kangiser

Quote from: NM_Shooter on June 23, 2010, 02:03:43 PM
I can't begin to express how ugly this raft is.  If this raft were a member of the opposite sex, and you were single, you would allow the human species to die off rather than mate. 

They all look the same in the dark, Frank.... [waiting]

You know what I mean.... [noidea'

Rafts, Frank, Rafts.... they all look the same in the dark.... [ouch]

NM_Shooter

Yeah Glenn, but this one has a bumpy, coarse feel, and smells like cat urine.  There are some things that can not be fixed by turning off the lights.  This is definitely one of them. 

glenn kangiser

I dunno, Frank.  I think you are right on this one.   I might pass on that one in the dark too..... [waiting]