Hard decision

Started by southernsis, April 22, 2010, 12:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernsis

We had to make a hard decision today. We had to put our old newfy to sleep. She has been with us through everything for nearly 13 years. There is a huge void in our lives now.  :(
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

MountainDon

That's a hard one. Sad to hear about it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fishing_guy

My sympathies!

A huge void is right.

10 years ago, we picked up a puppy to replace our black lab/collie mix which died suddenly.  The nicest dog who ever owned us.  

Anyway, a friend of my wife's had a female lab who had gotten loose and gotten herself into trouble.  Their neighbor's dog was a collie, so we offered to pick up one of the pups from them.  When the pups were 4 weeks old, their mother got hit by a car.  While at the vets, they informed her that there was a newfie in the neighborhood.

Sure enough, when we went to pick up the puppy, the others in the litter were about 5 lbs.  Pudge was 8.  Guess whose genes he got?

He is stubborn, smart, playful,loyal and gentle.  We call him our moose dog, because he is 110 lbs.  Everyone who sees him is afraid, but he wouldn't hurt a flea.

We souldn't have considered a newfie before him...now it would be hard not to.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

peternap

Quote from: southernsis on April 22, 2010, 12:32:46 PM
We had to make a hard decision today. We had to put our old newfy to sleep. She has been with us through everything for nearly 13 years. There is a huge void in our lives now.  :(
Sorry Sis!

It's like losing one of your natural kids.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

southernsis

Thanks everyone. Losing her was like losing a family member. She was our family. Always there to love and comfort us. The young newf we have is there for us, but it is different. It is going to take time for the hurt to go away. We are glad we are moving to a different location. We basically bought this property so she would have a lake to swim in.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

NM_Shooter

Oh sis, I'm really sorry. 

We're getting close with our old collie.  He made it through the winter and the warmth is helping his hips.  I don't think he'll be with us past Thanksgiving. 

What wonderful animals they are.  I could learn a lot from my dog.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

bayview

Sorry to hear about your loss . . .    This makes me tear up everytime . . .

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

fishing_guy

Quote from: NM_Shooter on April 22, 2010, 08:45:56 PM
Oh sis, I'm really sorry. 

We're getting close with our old collie.  He made it through the winter and the warmth is helping his hips.  I don't think he'll be with us past Thanksgiving. 

What wonderful animals they are.  I could learn a lot from my dog.

Try an asprin after strenuous activity.  It has helped our 10 year newfie/lab mix.  We thought he was on his last legs a couple of years ago.  We did a round of courtisone with the vets, which did little.  Se gave him a single asprin, and he acted like a puppy.

It's worth a shot. 
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

rwanders

Actually, aspirin is really dangerous for a dog or cat----Rimidyl is usually prescribed for arthritis in dogs and it will help an old dog act and feel younger again.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

rick91351

Sis so hate to hear about your loss of a loved one.  When you have known a special one - be it any breed - 'When they leave - they sure leave a great big giant hole.'  I think I read that here on this forum one time and it sure stuck with me.  I know as someone that has had to have several dogs put down.   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

I've been there, Sis.  It's always rough. 

One day, as you are feeling a bit better, another right one will show up.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fishing_guy

Quote from: rwanders on April 23, 2010, 01:57:12 AM
Actually, aspirin is really dangerous for a dog or cat----Rimidyl is usually prescribed for arthritis in dogs and it will help an old dog act and feel younger again.

It may be dangerous, but it is better than the alternative.  Pudge(our mix) was about 8 and his hips almost totally gave out.  He couldn't stand, let alone walk.  We took him to the vets.  They did the courtizone(sp?) shot, but it only worked for a day.

We tried the asprin.  Worked like a charm. He got up and going.  That was over 2 years ago.  We don't do it on a regular basis, just when we know he is going to overwork himself.

And actually, it isn't all that bad. 
http://www.vetinfo.com/daspirin.html

Just like people, some won't be able to tolerate it.  And keep the doses moderate.  We do 1 asprin for a 110 lb dog, 1x per day when he needs it.

cbc58

Very sorry to hear this...  we had to put down our 7 year old golden due to kidney failure about a year ago and we still miss her terribly.  She was hurting though and it was the best thing to do for her and maybe that's the decision you went through.   Tearing up just thinking about it... our sympathies.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Very sorry, SSis.  Our old Beardie died two days after Christmas.... up until a day or two before he died, I was playing fetch with him and he didn't act his age.  The day after Christmas, he acted tired, and the next day he tried to go off into the woods and die.  We brought him up to the house and built a good fire for him and he didn't make it through the night.  I was glad we were spared having to make a decision to put him down.  Some dogs are just way more than dogs.  We got Goliath (an Anatolian) on Valentine's Day this year.  He was born on the same day that Grover died.  He's certainly not Grover, and he is still kind of a destructive puppy, but hopefully someday he'll be as much a part of the family as Grover was.  Anyway, so sorry to hear about your loss.

MushCreek

Beardie- as in Bearded Collie? We've had two of them over the years, and hope to have more after we move to SC. Dudley only lasted 9 years, but Toby went for 14. You don't hear much about the breed, but they're great dogs (if a little loopy).
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Mushcreek, yes.  Grover was about 13-14 years old.  I rescued him from the pound when I was still in college. Best dog I ever had.... and definitely a little loopy with eyes that looked just like a person's.  He was really good with the kids, especially my middle daughter.  He didn't like me to even tell her "no" and would growl in disgust when I got onto her.  I would love to have another beardie someday... just a really neat dog.