Sheathing 12/12 roof tips NE1?

Started by RayN, October 06, 2005, 12:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayN

Well my little building is going up fairly smoothly;  but setting the roof ridgebeam and end rafters was pretty scarry,  I'm hoping filling in the remaining rafters will be less of a challenge.

How am I going to get the roof sheating on?  Before I risk some scary moments and guilltining the flora and fauna around the building site can anyone give me some tips?

Micky

We put up our sheathing from the inside.  This involved lots hanging upside down to do the nailing, but I felt fairly safe.

We were able to do the first couple of rows off the of the loft floor.  Then a step ladder off the loft floor.  Finally we had to build a temporary third floor by nailing some 2x6s across the rafters.

I also put the roofing paper up at the same time.

The last board was a little more tricky.  This involved a hanging from a rope on the outside of the roof.

photos.yahoo.com/merritt000

kev_alaska

without knowing how high your first row is, what we did was put the first row on via the loft and a ladder from below. Same for the second row. Where there was no loft, we had a big stepladder to reach the topside of the rafters. After two rows, we nailed a two by four about 5' from the edge and used it to brace our feet on to lean against the remainder of the roofing. We did use a rope thrown over the off side of the roof for a Bosun's chair. We anchored it off to the off side pier...We started from the loft end to make sure we got a square start. Same trick for the roofing paper. Metal roofing went on with a long extension ladder extended out to lay flat in the roof. Use the upper section of the ladder just like a walkway. Predrilled the screw holes and used a second ladder to access the roof.

rdzone

Micky nice photos!  Do you have any of the interior finished?

Micky

rdzone,

I wish.  I finished framing the interior walls last weekend.  Now for electrical and plumbing....

I will post more pictures when I get somewhere.

peg_688

Rent these at your local rent it center.

Qual-Craft 2500Q Roofing Bracket Adjustable to 10° Pitch - 10" Platform

Pretty poor picture , sort of shows the jack upside down.    

Nail your first row of sheeting on either from a ladder or the stick it out from inside method.

Once the first row is in place you nail thru the sheeting into a rafter thru the holes in the jack. Once they are in place a 2x6 rests on the jack and you have a safe way to sheet your roof .

Once to the top pull jacks and bang the nails in, use the slotted holes and you can bang up on the bottom of the jack to release it ,  nails roll out your felt , 1st layer, shingle over it then , use the roof jacks slid under the bottom of the shingles.  Again that is ladder work , or you could build a site built staging to work off , or check with your rental center they may have pump jacks or wall brackets availble to rent.

If your using metal roofing the roof jacks won't help much , or at all.

Good luck, how ever you do  :)