Truss building question.

Started by rocking23nf, March 31, 2010, 09:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocking23nf

Hey guys, on my 12x12 extension i ended up being 1 truss short on my order, so im going to build the last one myself since its only a few 2x4s.

My question is this, my local home depot doesnt sell "gusset plates" , the nailer strips that you commonly see on trusses. But the project guy said you can also use OSB or plywood as a fastener, just cut in triangles on both sides, and nail it together.

So my question is, is 3/4 inch plywood sufficient for this, it seems stronger then the 5/8s OSB.

MountainDon

3/4"  plywood should be more than adequate. In the old AG series of build it yourself barn trusses they used 3/8".  Exterior grade.

The reason you can not buy the plates is you need a large hydraulic press or roller system to press them into the wood.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rocking23nf

Thanks Don, im sure 2 inch galvanized nails are fine also right?

OkieJohn2

Don't forget the glue!  As a sidebar on "Holmes on homes, New Orleans" when they built the hurricane proof house, they glued virtually everything possible.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

Phssthpok

Quote from: MountainDon on March 31, 2010, 09:29:00 AM
3/4"  plywood should be more than adequate. In the old AG series of build it yourself barn trusses they used 3/8".  Exterior grade.

Here's what I did on my trusses:

Truss halves

Completed truss

I don't know if it's going to make a difference or not, but I bridged the gap at each angle with a 'filler block' to give the gussets a little bit more to 'grip' to.

Don_P

If you look at the truss plates on the existing trusses and notice the different sizes and locations, how much plate is on each member... Each square inch of plate is good for about 80-100 lbs of shear. A .128 dia gun nail through 3/4" into SPF lumber is good for about 80 lbs. Measure # of square inches on each side of each joint and use a few more than that number of nails. Remember there are plates on both faces with that rating. Glue is a good thing but does not reduce the number of fasteners needed. Notice the grade and species of each member, if you don't see the stamps it will be specified on the truss drawings.