My shoulder isn't what it used to be

Started by peternap, October 02, 2009, 10:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

My day started at 2:00 am. I had the 1911 on and got out of the house at 2:30 and stopped at the Mechanicsville 7-11 for coffee and cigarettes.
I did make the clerk nervous because he was counting his drawer and no one else was around and it was a quarter to three. Didn't say anything, just looked scared.

So on to work. I was hauling a grader box and stopped for breakfast on the way at Chula Junction. It didn't phase the woman there. I got to the farm just before daybreak and changed to the BFR. Graded one of my roads (about a mile long).

Then I went to the range for a while. It was load testing morning. I had over 200 rounds to test in three calibers, two bullet weights each and several different powders.

I hate to admit it, but the 45/70 with 400 grain JBSP's at 1900 fps, gave me a pounding.

The .308 was next at 100 yards and it went without a hitch, then the 25/06 That needed some distance. I shot a sight in group at 100 yards

Not great, but OK and I shot them in a hurry. This is the hundred yard range.

To get two hundred an fifty yards, I had to move a portable stand to the treeline

[After testing everything I had with the 25/06, mu best 250 yard group..

I'll take it any day because I can't shoot worth a damn anymore:X

On to Victoria. I saaw one Cop there. I was taking pictures and he slowed down enough to wave. Tough place:lol:

Back to the farm and back to the BFR.

I put up a new stand in some newly planted pines.

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

MountainDon

Nice looking range. Groups are what I'd be happy with, too.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

emcvay

I plan on hitting the range tomorrow.  Deer season starts soon and I need make sure my rifles are zeroed and the boys too (never hunt without first checking the zero).

I'm thinking of using the .25-06 this year since my son really wants to use the 7MM I used last year.  Both too much gun really since I've never hit a deer over 80 yards out -- so I might just take the .454 instead!

but hey, it will be fun hitting the range anyway :)

peternap

I hunt with a lot of guns/ What's the point of having toys if you don't play with them. ;D

The 25/06 is new this year and IMO, a little on the light side. It really isn't, but I like big holes. Va. is brushy and 100+ yard shots are rare, but I do have one stand where I can shoot 250 yards in either direction. The 25/06 goes there.

Normally, the 45/70 goes everywhere else but the for -50 yard stands like the one in the picture, I'm going to try my newly built 735 CBB (Collar Bone Buster. Something magic about that 600 grain slug.

The 308/12ga is my late season gun when I'm still hunting Deer, but might also feel like walking up quail or turkey or maybe a squirrel.

The 45LC BFR is always with me unless the DOG HUNTERS ARE AROUND. Then I swap it for a 1911 or one of the 9mm's.

Someone asked the other day if I was going through my second childhood. Nope, I said...never got out of the first one ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

emcvay

I almost did on of those Marlin 45-70's for Elk but then decided on the .454 instead becuase I can use my .45colt's out of it too.  I load the colts with 19.2 grains of 296 and 300 grain JFP bullets...I need to get some hard cast bullets though, they perform better.

I've got a few (shall we say) guns and also carry a .45colt or .45acp when hunting or wandering around in the woods (or cabin building).  Someone asked why one - then I showed them the black bear prints nearby :D

Anyway, my preference is probably the 30-06 but since the boys like those I might refrain from that one.  I also have an M1A in .308 and I guess I could take that ;)  :o ::) [cool]

emcvay

Hit the range yesterday -- must be getting old!  The 7MM was pounding away at the old shoulder and it's sore today (and last night).

The boys had fun with their 30-06 and .454 Casull (model 92) -- ok it's my .454 but my son has claimed it now.

Anyway, was a good day!  But now I need a day of rest...errggg