Hanging a bed from the wall

Started by Jared, September 02, 2005, 12:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

What kind of support would be needed to hang a twin size bed from the wall, using chains to support the outer edge? And what kind of hinges would be used? It's just an idea I'm kicking around.

mark_chenail

Seems like i saw a picture of this in a book recently but dont remember the title.  The wall had been framed with  an opening about the size of a twin bed mattress as if it was meant to be a rough window opening.  The walls were 2x6 construction to accommodate the thickeness of the mattress. The opening was sheathed over on the far side.  A light frame covered in plywood was hinged to the bottom of the opening with a piano or continous hinge and  it was supported by chains that were bolted through the  bed frame.  The whole thing folded up into the wall and latched into place and if I remember correctly as this was a kids room, the bottom surface of the bed that showed when folded up into the wall was covered in black board paint and cork.  I would definitely use a piano hinge for continuous support   or at least three very long t hinges, the kind used to hang an old style garage door.  Good luck with it.

Epiphany

Isn't there something like this in the original little house John Raab built?

glenn-k

My dad made that type of bed for us when I was a kid.  A light chain is heavy enough - welded links - not bent split links - 1/8 to 3/16 dia wire size.  Check the load ratings - two chains rated at 400 lbs each with hinges on the other side should hold a 1600 lb kid.

Eye bolts or hooks screwed into the joists above will support the chain.  1/4 to 5/16 should be about right - check the load rating and go about 4 times the desired weight on one side - the other side is supported by the wall on hinges or by other means- maybe nailed to a 2x4 ledger- etc.

You are ultimately responsible for the safety -these are just suggestions of things that have worked but not engineered.   :)

If you want it to hinge up as ours did it will depend on the situation - ours were on a half wall and down a bit from the intersection with the roof so there was room for the mattress when folded up at about a 12/12 pitch.  For a straight full height wall you would have to put the hinge point out a few inches from the wall to leave room for the mattress.  If hinging to studs then strap hinges would probably be best as there would be more length to get screws into the studs.

Amanda_931

Yes.  That one when folded goes down to the floor, comes up with at least front legs folded down. possibly back ones or a ledger board built in.  Step twelve.  The platform will be 39 or 40 inches off the ground unless it somehow lowers onto bed-height legs--or is bunk-sized, not twin.

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/20.html

The old old (late 60's) sunset vacation house book showed one that opened down (long ways on the wall) and the outside was supported on chains.  IIRC going back to the wall at about 450.  Might even have been a bunk bed pair.

Lee Valley has hardware kits for a couple of different folding/closet type beds--classic Murphy that are hinged on the short side, as well as those that are hinged on the long side.

Double or Queen here--horizontal or vertical (even though one of the pictures is definitely of a twin):

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41276&cat=3,40842,41271&ap=1

classic Murphy here single or double--rather of a lot cheaper:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41277&cat=3,40842,41271&ap=1

jraabe

The one we built here:

is hinged at the top. That is it is simply a platform that you grab down close to the floor, swing up to horizontal and brace with two notched 2x4s that angle from the outside lip back into the bottom corner (notches in the baseboard if I remember right). It is fairly tall for a bed (the width of the desk/bed frame from the floor) — in this case about 31".

You have to "hop" up into bed!

It is sturdy and simple to build.