Fuel for Stihl equipment.

Started by JRR, October 05, 2009, 04:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRR

Stihl recommends 89 octane, or higher, gasoline for their equipment.

I was purchasing a new Stihl KM 130 R KombiMotor trimmer the other day, (it cuts heavy grass almost as well as my very old 4-cycle Ryobi 1079r ... but that's another story!) and the salesman was very persistent that I know to purchase 89 or higher octane gasoline for its use.  I thought this was because of the "4-cycle" X-Mix engine used on that particular trimmer .... but later, looking back thru their catalogue I see high octane gasoline is recommend for all current equipment.

On the page listing all the Stihl mix oils, there is this note: STIHL recommends a mix of 50:1 high-quality 89 octane or higher unleaded gasoline to STIHL engine oil.  This same mix ratio should be used during break-in.

When did this come about?  I've been asleep at the switch if it applies to my older Stihl equipment.  I've been using 87 octane regular non-leaded.

Heads up!

peternap

There's a lot of debate about that. One argument is that high test has less alcohol...I don't know but I burn high test alcohol free gas in all my small engines and I have very few problems.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

I also believe that at higher altitudes you can burn the lower octane.  Less air density, less chance for detonation.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"