Footings in water -- a small pond

Started by fritz, September 10, 2005, 07:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritz

I'm looking at building next to a small 1.5 acre pond.

So as I dream and think and plan, I got to thinking.  If I wanted to make my cabin have more of a boat house feel, what would the general method be to place part of the cabin --- and footings -- out into the water?

There is about a 24" - 36" frost line here and the pond freezes over.  The bottom is high clay content and gently slopes,  by my rough estimates, the bottom is 3 - 4 feet deep where the footings would be.

Any thoughts?

Fritz

glenn kangiser

You would probably need the help of an engineer if you are in an area that requires permits.  In an area that does not require permits and inspections it would probably be wise to have the help of an engineer anyway.  

Conditions under the pond could vary greatly - from foundation sinking -no problem   ..... to foundation sinking a few inches a year.  Depends on what's down there.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

If people commonly put docks onto their ponds in your area, you could get a general idea of what's needed by asking around, because what you want is an overbuilt dock.

But when it comes time to actually do it, I'd think that Glenn's right.

I've seen a couple of store-boughten plans for boathouses.  But you can't see how the foundation works without buying the plans.

DavidLeBlanc

Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Waters" design, built over a stream, has suffered over the years from the high humidity. The organization that now owns the house as a museum has spent large sums to fix/maintain it.

Just something to ponder while thinking of an over-pond house (pun intended ;))

Perhaps a house on land and an enclosed dock with some sort of covvered connecting way might give the substance of what you want, only in a different form?

fritz

I hadn't thought about humidity....but that makes some sense.  

I know in the actual design an engineer would be needed -- I was curious if anyone had done it or seen it done.  Often, steel is used --- or wooden poles are pounded in similar to a pile driver.

I've heard of cribs.  But I know nothing about either of the above....  ???

In a simple way, assuming a firm bottom, I wondered if the water would act as an insulator -- similar to insulated footings?

I have a great link to a 16 x 16 floating dock design

http://www.canadianfishing.com/dock/index.htm

My original plan was to build this -- and keep the cabin 100% over dry land.....but almost all of my non professional friends ask "Why not build it over the water...."

Bart_Cubbins

Cribs aren't used much anymore. They take a lot of timber and a lot of rock to fill them. Pilings are probably easier.

Another option you could consider is to build the cabin as a float house. Connecting utilities is more difficult but is doable.

However you build it, you'll have to protect the structure from ice damage somehow... Either by building it strong enough or by keeping the ice away. A small pump or bubbler on the bottom will keep the water moving enough to stop ice from forming.

Bart_Cubbins

If you do use a pump or bubbler, make sure you put a suitably large warning sign on the water side warning skaters of thin ice!!