Senate offers new plan to secure driver's licenses

Started by peternap, June 15, 2009, 02:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Well....I guess Napolitano didn't like Va telling her to take her REAL ID and shove it!

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=10535487

Associated Press - June 15, 2009 3:13 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate wants to replace a Bush administration program to secure driver's licenses with a plan that would cost states less money.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says the new plan, which was introduced Monday, would refine the current program and not gut the security requirements of the ID law passed shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Napolitano says the new proposal is a recognition that states are not adhering to the requirements of the Bush administration plan.

The National Governors Association helped write the new proposal.

The 2001 attacks were the main motivation for the original law. The hijacker-pilot who flew into the Pentagon, Hani Hanjour, had four driver's licenses and ID cards from three states.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Virginia Gent

I was so happy when I heard that Virginia was finally getting on board with the other states it telling the Feds to go pound sand. Hopefully they do the same with this plan, and any other Congress passes and tries to force on the States. Perhaps States are finally asserting their 10th Amendment rights.

Of course, this is a double-edged sword, since Virginia is one of three or four States enforcing a "No Smile" rule when getting your Drivers License picture taken; this is so that biometric software can better recognize your face; this is also something I am not in favor of and when it comes time to renew my license, I'll have a big smile on my face ... prolly the first time ever since I don't normally smile.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

peternap

Quote from: Virginia Gent on June 16, 2009, 03:23:31 PM
I was so happy when I heard that Virginia was finally getting on board with the other states it telling the Feds to go pound sand. Hopefully they do the same with this plan, and any other Congress passes and tries to force on the States. Perhaps States are finally asserting their 10th Amendment rights.

Of course, this is a double-edged sword, since Virginia is one of three or four States enforcing a "No Smile" rule when getting your Drivers License picture taken; this is so that biometric software can better recognize your face; this is also something I am not in favor of and when it comes time to renew my license, I'll have a big smile on my face ... prolly the first time ever since I don't normally smile.

It was a tough fight in Va.
In the end, the Feds killed it for us that lobbied against it. When it was brought to the attention of legislators that the way the bill was written, the Federal Government effectively had all control over the DMV's functions and the General Assembly would be out of the loop, the bill refusing was passed. Kaine came back with amendments and they were argued during the veto overide session.

The real issue will be Federal Money. Virginia is like most states...greedy. I fully expect another fight. Hopefully, we get the Republican grand slam. I suspect all three top Republicans will again refuse it.

Just have to watch for now!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Virginia Gent

Virginia didn't always use to be greedy. It use to be the best state to do business in. I blame Kaine and the Democrats for undoing that. Their increased control over the last decade or so has also seen this state's decline, in a general sense, in my opinion. I think the Republicans in this state have done a fair amount to keep it in check, but their declining numbers and what I see as a new breed of Republican, has done it's damage as well.

Since moving here, I've grown to love this state a lot and plan to put down roots here, but if things get so bad that it becomes like D.C. I will give up and go to a more citizen-friendly state.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~