How to deal with internet scammers and Phishers?

Started by NM_Shooter, May 31, 2009, 11:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I've got a kayak for sale locally.  As luck would have it, it sold almost immediately to a nice young man who lives elsewhere.  Odd though... he wants to send me a check for more than I am asking for the boat, and for me to wire the difference back to him.   ::)

So.... how do I best make life a bit painful for this person?  I'd sort of like to get a check as a trophy of sorts.  Or is it dangerous to interact at all?

Maybe send them the phone number and address of the local police station to mail their check to?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

It would be fun to play with them, but you'd be giving up personal info, MTL. I like the idea of sending it to the police. How about asking the local gendarmes? Out of state buyer... FBI??     ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Tell him to Western Union the money to you and you'll do the same with the 'change'.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

phalynx

Here is my favorite story involving play with scammers.  This is extremely long and well developed but actually scammed the scammer.  Take a few minutes to read through.
http://www.419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm