Trex as trim

Started by Kiwi55, May 12, 2009, 12:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi55

Has anyone used Trex deck boards as trim boards? In particular for rake and soffit trim.

I have been looking at azek trim boards but they are twice the price and would need to be painted. The Trex is already an accepable color.

Any reason I shouldnt use it?
Thanks...Paul

glenn kangiser

Personally I think it is too ugly.  If not supported 16" on a deck it tends to bow.  It may also split from what I have seen in the lumber yard , in the back reject pile.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

waggin

Trex is pretty flexy stuff, and over time would probably sag with gravity and heat/cooling.  Keep in mind that it does fade over time as well, so hopefully you'll be ok with that color-wise.  I built a deck with it and love it (with about 15" of joist spacing.)  No problems with splitting for me.  I think the Azek stuff is more stable, ie: less sagging potential.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

MountainDon

I would imagine any sagging would be a function of the number of fasteners used, when used as trim. Nobody addressed the weight issue; heavy stuff when having to work up in the air.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Kiwi55

Thanks for the feedback, I think I will stick to the Azek.
...Paul

sjdehner

We used Azek on our house that we finished up this month and it looks pretty decent for "plastic" trim. It is not cheap, true. And the lengths (20') we had to buy them in were difficult to manage.

Azek is not light - although it should be lighter than the Trex decking. The composite decking we installed was quite heavy, so this is a legitimate concern expressed by another poster.

The wider (1x6) channeled boards often look better for trimming out windows and doors. But it all depends on your project of course.

Good luck,

s.
"Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner sense of justice than we do" -Wendell Berry