Food control in Europe (Codex Alimentarius)

Started by MaineRhino, January 05, 2009, 04:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineRhino

Codex Alimentarius - a collection of internationally recognized standards, codes of practice, guidelines and other recommendations relating to foods, food production and food safety.

Thanks to the EU it will be mandatory from the 1st of January 2010.
It consists of rules that are supposed to protect us, but...
- all food must be sterilized with radiation and may contain additional chemicals and pesticides and still be called "organic" or "ecological"
- all aminals bred for meat (including "ecological farms") will have to be treated with antibiotics and growth hormone
- all growing of fruit and vegetables will require a permit (even those grown in your own garden)
- selling of natural vitamins, minerals and herbs will be illegal.

This Codex is recognized by the WHO as the standard for the resolution of disputes concerning food safety and consumer protection.

Ron Paul has said that the Central American Free Trade Agreement "increases the possibility that Codex regulations will be imposed on the American public."

Here is the official website:
http://www.codexalimentarius.net/web/index_en.jsp

Sonoran

Individuality: You are all unique, just like everybody else.

Squirl

This doesn't make any sense.  The EU has strict restrictions against almost every one of these codes and against genetically modified crops or food.  Can you please provide the link to the passing of these regulations in the EU?  Everything that I have read is codex drafting standards for the EU.  I can't find any of the EU actually adopting them.

I do know that the EU has strict standards on size and appearance of produce for human consumption.  Many of these have been recently repealed.

fishing_guy

- all growing of fruit and vegetables will require a permit (even those grown in your own garden).

Just let them try to come after my heirloom tomatoes.  The red covering the ground won't be spoiled produce....... >:(
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

glenn kangiser

They had better not even think of setting their fascist feet on my place. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.